2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM
cootersdream96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 magnum build

hey guys im new to this here forum and have some questions about building my 1996 5.9 magnum. I want to get around 400 HP but im not sure what parts work well with eachother and havnt really found any parts period. if any one has a good build list or some ideas it would be much appreciated

Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet for that much power is probably a 408 stroker. Don't know much about them except it will make your truck into a monster

Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF. Moving you to the correct location.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

+1 for the 408 kit to easily obtain that power level. See the link for an example kit:

http://ohiocrank.com/mopar_rotate.html

Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tons of good threads on here do some searching.

Engine building is not "here's the list out it all together" tons of factors at Into how and what is used. What are you trying to do? Towing? Racing? Street/track? Mudder? Does it have to be DD? What about gas mileage?

All these things and more can drastically change things depending on what route you want your truck to be

Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Answer Ham Bones questions so we can help you out.

If you have done a search on the internet for Mopar performance parts and have not found any your search engine must be broken. I have a lot of saved places in my favorites that are nothing but parts for my 5.9. Do a search on here for build threads and as others have said you'll find a lot.

Here is my thread of my build so far.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres my build thread... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ld-thread.html

those parts should net you somewhere in the neighborhood of 400hp.

this build, was made with torque in mind.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Greasy24
Veteran

I rebuilt my 360 a while back but it really comes down to money, well it did for me. I wanted a fully built motor but in the end i rebuilt stock. The 408 kit is what i wanted to do in the end and will one one day with an extra block. Good Luck

Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
cootersdream96

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Tons of good threads on here do some searching.

Engine building is not "here's the list out it all together" tons of factors at Into how and what is used. What are you trying to do? Towing? Racing? Street/track? Mudder? Does it have to be DD? What about gas mileage?

All these things and more can drastically change things depending on what route you want your truck to be
Sorry for being so vague, but what I want is a mix between on and off road. I want b able to dip my truck in a mad hole and have the power to get through it but at the same time I have to drive it on the road sometimes. Its not a daily driver though. My plan is a 5.5 inch suspention lift with 35 inch tires for now tell I can go bigger

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Cooter,
Bottom line is nothing beats cubic inches. So stroking your engine to a 408 is going to get you the most bang for your buck. Now with the 96 are you OBD1 or 2? If it is OBD1 your going to run into tuning issues. I can't answer the question of can you or can't you get it to work. But if you can't tune it with the stock PCM then your going to have to go aftermarket. Look at an item called MegaSquirt for tuning your engine.
A 408 is going to give you that low end grunt for spinning larger tires. Also remember that all the engine in the world isn't going to do much if the gearing isn't changed to match tire size. So as you increase your tire size you also want to install lower gears. And then you get into the issue of axles not being able to handle tire size. You D44 front axle is good for up to a 35" tire. If you have plans to go bigger then you are going to want D60 axles front and rear. Then you're good for up to a 40" tire. Maybe 42" if you build the axles.

I drive a Jeep with D44 front axle & D60 rear alxe. I have 5.13 gears and am running 38" tires. I have a 5.9 that I am almost done building for the Jeep. My Jeep is a little on the heavy side too and weighs in at around 5,000lbs so I am moving almost as much weight as you are. Read thru some of the build threads on here. Also do a search for 408 builds. There are also books on rebuilding your engine and building a stroker engine.

Quick Reply: 5.9 magnum build