2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please: 2001 5.9 Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 PM
joely_g
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please: 2001 5.9 Electrical Issues

I need help. It started with the driver's side power window not working, then the radio light starting going in and out (the radio works, just no lights), the power locks will randomly lock and unlock (even when the truck is not running), and now my turn signals work intermittently (usually not). When it was just the window, I checked the motor and it was fine, I replaced the door switch assembly, still nothing. Now with everything else, I am thinking an electrical issue is causing all of the problems, but I don't want to blindly go in searching and replacing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
rollinlow
Professional

check your grounds, battery ground, frame to block, body to frame

Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^Good idea.

Also, how old is your battery? Clean up the connections on it?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM
rockertatted

Find the gremlin hiding in your truck, take him out, then shoot him til he quits twitching. problem solved.

Like the guys said before me, check all your grounds and connections at the battery. Not sure what your location is, but if it rains a lot, or has high humidity on a regular basis, you may be getting moisture buildup on one of the fuse panels causing an intermittent short. so check your fuse panels for moisture, cracked insulation, random evil squirrels, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my two cents is check the tilt steering. common problem for our trucks to pinch a wire up there. pull the panels around the column and stick your head up there with a flashlight. or just try tilting the wheel to a new position. my wife likes to pop mine up all the way and one day she will bust something.

Quick Reply: Help Please: 2001 5.9 Electrical Issues