2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help. Voltage and stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
T.Welland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Voltage and stalling problems

Hey folks. Maybe someone here can give some ideas, I'm stumped. (sorry this will be rather long)

I just replaced the water pump on my 97 ram 1500 5.2 ltr. The bearing was shot in the pump and I ended up shredding a serpentine belt (pulley was **** eyed). Before doing this the truck ran ok, the battery was tired, as was the alternator, but I hadn't had any major issues. I also fixed a hole in the exhaust (after the cat, before the o2 sensor), and replaced the vapor canister and solenoid (had a error code relating to these).

I drove the truck for one day and it just quit on me. It stalled and would not start. I got it towed home and it started fine. Weird. The next day it did the same thing. It quit and then about 20 minutes later just fired up again and I limped it home.
I replaced the battery and alternator at this point.

Now I am getting alarmingly low charging rates when the truck is in gear, idling and anything is on. Headlights, heater and wipers and the charge drops to about 11v. With RPM the charge goes back up over 14v no problem. My idle is between 630 and 680 rpm.

It ran fine for 2 days, even with the charging problem, but now it's doing the stalling problem again. I'll lose power randomly while driving like it wants to stall, or it will just quit after running for a minute and not start again for 15 to 20 minutes.

Any ideas?
I'm thinking ecm at this point

Thanks for any help you can provide

Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your belt tight enough? what is the voltage at the battery with the engine off? there are a lot of grounds on these trucks, make sure you did not miss one. use search about external regulator. there is a company that makes a kit for our trucks if you determine its truelly the ecm.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Possible crank sensor, cam sensor, or PCM. (in that order of likelihood) for your stalling issue.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 AM
tigershep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our truck did this not too long ago, and it was a big pain in the butt. We replaced several sensors including the crank and cam sensors. We also went through and replaced some hoses, as it seemed to happen whenever we were driving at an incline. Also replaced the thermometer as overheating was part of our issue. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help. Voltage and stalling problems