DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   differential whine (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/368164-differential-whine.html)

Wile C 12-28-2013 07:07 PM

differential whine

ok i have the differential noise coming from my 98 1500 4x4. i've known about it for years and probably should do something about it before it blows up. i have had both axels fluids changed a couple of times, the first time is when they mentioned the noise. the second time i just realized mopar didn't mention the whine. oh well, i'm sure it's the bearings and related parts. i'm not sure what kind of a shop would be the best place to do the work. is this something the dealership techs can handle? you might not think it, but i do take very good care of my ram. it only has 63k and i change all fo the fluids regularly and more often than i should. this is the only thing i've let go. i was told by one tech that his whined for years and he never did anything about it.

are there specialty shops for diffs? not sure, any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Spillage 12-28-2013 08:22 PM

I believe they're noted for their axle whine (pinion bearing?).

Mine started at the low 110K mark... it got a little louder as time passed, but stabilized after about 15K... I'm now over 160K, nothing has worsened or failed... I changed my axle oil at 75K and 150K.

If you're not hard on it, I wouldn't be too concerned... turn up the music, and start putting some cash aside to rebuild the axle at a later date.

Any ASE certified mechanic (not just an oil change shop) should be capable, but if you have a 4x4 or speed shop in town, they should be more experienced with axle rebuilds... specialty axle shops exist, but are not as common.

Wile C 12-29-2013 10:34 AM

thanks for the info. i've tended not to pay much notice to the noise until a bud of mine was in my truck last week and made the comment about it. i normally have the radio drowning out the noise. other than that, the truck is solid. just not sure how long i should press my luck with it. i bought the truck new in 97 and was first told of the noise in 2001 but it's pretty much a weekend driver and has only had 12k put on it since 2001. my daily is a hemi magnum.

Spillage 12-29-2013 11:01 AM

I keep an eye on the oil colour (for change of colour), and look for suspended particles as a sign that I might need to do something sooner rather than later.
I don't have any seal leaks, the oil hasn't darkened dramatically, there is no suspended particles showing, and the LSD is still doing its thing, so I'm not concerned yet.
But I do have my list of parts to get for a rebuild, and buy anything that I see on sale when I can.

I'm going to do the whole lot when I open it up... R&P, replace the crush-tube with spacer and shims, all the bearings and seals (wheel bearings included), and drop in a TruTrac while I'm at it.

PS: I got my truck new in 98, and it's my daily driver... I'm doing 350 miles a week minimum at the moment.

Ham Bone 12-29-2013 11:03 AM

By truck as always had a little bit of whine. Fluid and everything was fine. Limited slip. works great. And I've used the hello out of my truck. Hauling and towing.

It's a truck. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts getting louder

merc225hp 12-29-2013 12:38 PM

Either take it to a dodge dealer or to a diff shop, most little shops or backyard mechs will not have the right tools or knowledge to fix it right. Leave it and pay the bigger bill later or be a man and fix it now. I hear a wine or a noise in my truck and its fixed now not later.

HeyYou 12-29-2013 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by merc225hp (Post 3115179)
Ether take it to a dodge dealer or to a diff shop, most little shops or backyard mechs will not have the right tools or knowledge to fix it right. Leave it and pay the bigger bill later or be a man and fix it now. I hear a wine or a nose in my truck and its fixed now not later.

This. I would rather spend a c-note or two, while it is cheap, than spend a grand or more later........

Spillage 12-29-2013 04:40 PM

I don't know of any shop (even a backyard hack) that is going to open up a diff for $200, let alone with parts... and I sure as heck couldn't imagine a dealership doing it for that.
With basic shop rates in these parts, that would get you ~2˝hrs of work at best... I would think this job should run at least 4hrs(?) to do properly.

The cost of a R&P is in that ball park... a half decent master bearing set is going to burn close to 3/4 of that... so even if you did it yourself, it is going to be more than $200.

And I don't think anyone's "manliness" is the deciding factor as to when they choose to do a repair... I would hazard a bet that available funds and/or time play a bigger role.

stewie01 12-29-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spillage (Post 3115265)
I don't know of any shop (even a backyard hack) that is going to open up a diff for $200, let alone with parts... and I sure as heck couldn't imagine a dealership doing it for that.
With basic shop rates in these parts, that would get you ~2˝hrs of work at best... I would think this job should run at least 4hrs(?) to do properly.

The cost of a R&P is in that ball park... a half decent master bearing set is going to burn close to 3/4 of that... so even if you did it yourself, it is going to be more than $200.

And I don't think anyone's "manliness" is the deciding factor as to when they choose to do a repair... I would hazard a bet that available funds and/or time play a bigger role.

Yup.

Like when you have no choice but to let a shop repair something on your vehicle and you're calling every hour on the hour to make sure they aren't fixing something they shouldn't be because you don't have an open checkbook..

Note: Most shops don't like being called that much, they get pretty pissy.