2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoamed my truck, misfire and sensor codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoamed my truck, misfire and sensor codes?

Seafoamed my 98 dodge ram. 5.9L 360.

Put 5/10ths of the bottle in the gas,

The rest into the vaccuum hose from the break booster. Massive mistake.

It smoked a little and I shut it off, Let it sit five minutes, started up smoking.

Truck ran fine and smoked like crazy. Noticed smoother and more responsive throttle, ran it on a 5 mile test drive

Then I decided to put it on the hoist to do a checkup, as I pulled in it randomly stopped running, no sputter, just quit. Unplugged my jetchip and the battery for a few minutes and it still ran bad. Promptly revved it up and put a code reader on it. Misfire on three pistons, IAC sensor high! and map sensor high.

Disconnected the cable and took my throttle body off. Gasket disintegrated and so I cleaned around the area, made a new one from cork, carb cleaned the whole thing and the sensors. They had carbon in them. Then I reassembled, plugged back in, started up and it smoked a little more but ran fine, idle was a little smoother. I feel no vibrations or unnormal operation.. Took it on a 15 mile test drive, romped on it, let it idle a lot, issue seems to be gone. It went from a nice warm shop to -5 two times and still worked a treat. Unplugging the battery obviously erased the codes but nothing has showed up but knowing this truck they might again.

Should I be concerned?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
r-g_richards
Rookie

First off get rid of the Jet Chip, they do nothing for the truck other than try to fool the ecm. If you want to get more out of your truck invest in a proper tuner. As far as the smoke goes that is normal after you do the vaccum hose. It just shows that it is cleaning all the built up S!!! in the engine. If you don't believe about the Jet do some reviews on it.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by r-g_richards
First off get rid of the Jet Chip, they do nothing for the truck other than try to fool the ecm. If you want to get more out of your truck invest in a proper tuner. As far as the smoke goes that is normal after you do the vaccum hose. It just shows that it is cleaning all the built up S!!! in the engine. If you don't believe about the Jet do some reviews on it.

Hmm, thank you sir. Didn't answer my question but whatever.. And it's a stage two chip, got it for free, it's actually improved throttle response and shift patterns. Better gas mileage too. It's not spectacular but is indeed working.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think youre fine. Putting seafoam in through the booster line will cause it to smoke as said above...its entering through the intake vs the injectors when you have it in the gas tank. Doing it through the booster will clear more carbon off your valves etc. How's the rest of your engine as far as maintenance and plenum and all that?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by chromed95
Yeah I think youre fine. Putting seafoam in through the booster line will cause it to smoke as said above...its entering through the intake vs the injectors when you have it in the gas tank. Doing it through the booster will clear more carbon off your valves etc. How's the rest of your engine as far as maintenance and plenum and all that?
I maintain my pickup the best I can. I've put in new plugs and wires, filters, new oil change three months ago, o2 sensors, basically a new front end.. as far as a plenum gasket I haven't done it yet, my dad works by the motto of it " if it ain't broke don't fix it" and I paid the price seafoaming my truck when it wasn't broke. Haha.

I understand the plenum is something that needs to be done, but seems incredibly Expensive... Should I replace it?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you can do the work yourself, it's under 200 bucks, and that includes doing the timing chain.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can do the work yourself, it's under 200 bucks, and that includes doing the timing chain.

Any existing forums to assist me in doing the job? Need to get some funds for the job.

Quick Reply: Seafoamed my truck, misfire and sensor codes?