DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Signs Of A Bad Plenum? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/371456-signs-of-a-bad-plenum.html)

JeremyMichael 02-28-2014 01:21 AM

Signs Of A Bad Plenum?

What are some common signs of this problem? I noticed my MPG during this winter have dropped from 13/14 in the summer to around 10/11 for the winter, but i'm going off of the information on the display on the head unit, I haven't actually done it any other way to test my real MPG.

The truck does have 230k miles on it, but doesn't seem to lose oil, as from the time we got it in Aug to changing it in Feb it was low by about a quart, but the oil in it was pitch black, so I assume it just maybe broke down (hopefully). No clue when the oil was previously changed.

Under the hood is really clean for 14 years old, and from the looks of all the fluids under the hood except the engine oil, all of them have been changed recently, as they still hold their color, and what not.

The transmission has been rebuilt, and I am more than certain the previous owner took care of the truck. Or so it seems lol, I am just worried with the low MPG during this cold winter, the quart loss over 6 months and about 2-3k miles, that it may be a sign of a bad plenum.

Another thing i read that could be a sign of a bad plenum is a ping from the engine, I don't know exactly what this is, but when driving everything sounds fine, but if I heavily accelerate, like a sudden quick MPH gain from like 40-55 by pushing the gas pedal heavily, I hear pinging/ticking from the engine it sounds more like the lifters are rapid clicking.

This is only while heavily accelerating tho, normal acceleration I do not get the sound.

Ram Driver 02-28-2014 02:24 AM

If you look at the top of this forum you will see the end all be all plenum thread. It will answer all of your questions about the plenum problems.

As for the lower gas mileage in the winter, its not that uncommon for gas mileage to go down some because most gas stations switch over to a winter blend of gas and it will effect your gas mileage a little. Also very cold weather by it self will also effect your gas mileage. Once the weather warms up your gas mileage should go back up.

CSDavies26 02-28-2014 08:33 AM

Only way to really know for sure is to pull the air intake and look down the throttle body...it's easier if you just remove the whole throttle body which isn't a bad idea because it probably needs to be cleaned anyway. Once you have it off, take a flashlight and look down towards the back of the intake manifold and see if you have any oil in there...

JeremyMichael 02-28-2014 09:40 AM

I may have a mechanic look at it, I think the lifter noise is just a noisy lifter, I noticed it more after a fresh oil change with new oil, the old oil was black and probably a little too old. but i'm just hoping the 2 quarts loss of very bad looking oil was because it was old and not do to the plenum.

I got the vehicle at 228k miles, and from the looks of the engine it had been pretty well kept and taken care of, so theres a probability he ran into this issue and hopefully the plenum has already been replaced lol. Because from what I read this issue usually strikes well around the 100k mark.

Ham Bone 02-28-2014 10:33 AM

Iff you have a mechanic look at it be sure to tell him to look at the plenum specifically. Ive talked to dodge "master" mechanics that had no idea these things have a plenum problem

Not every engine has the problem, but, odds arent in your favor at 228 miles. Youre getting great mileage though ;) lol im not kidding. I get 10mpg year round

Spillage 02-28-2014 07:21 PM

These things should have a "Bad Plenum" light on the dash.

Matt Nickerson 02-28-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyMichael (Post 3139760)
but i'm just hoping the 2 quarts loss of very bad looking oil was because it was old and not do to the plenum.

Oil doesnt just disappear when it gets old... It's either leaking from a gasket or being burned in the engine, plenum or worn rings/valves.

JeremyMichael 02-28-2014 07:43 PM

My exhaust never smoked and the engine is clean, I don't know how long it went without being changed, regardless it's been changed and from what I can tell with 400 miles on the oil so far, there has been no loss, I will keep an eye on it every week until I 3,000 miles, I always thought over time oil breaks down and this you need to add more, I never thought that was a sign of some kind of leak.

Spillage 02-28-2014 09:33 PM

Oil itself doesn't break down... the additives do, and it gets dirty (carries carbon and other contaminants) that will lead to component wear.

ReadRam 02-28-2014 11:24 PM

Molecules that make up the oil combine with oxygen and impurities to form several oxidation products. Many of which are acidic in nature. So it's more of a chemical change in composition of the oil "matter is neither created or destroyed" that requires it be changed at regular intervals or you get sludge and engine wear.