2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Start then quickly stall.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM
sully5981
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start then quickly stall.....

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
5.9l

So A few months ago i fixed my plenum/changed the dist cap and rotor and put everything back together. I ran seafoam and everything has been running smooth. Up until last week when it would just start then stall. At first I though it was the battery but then i realized the battery would turn the engine but the engine would just struggle to start.

My first question is: would a clogged cat cause this problem?

So far there have been no codes have been thrown up and I figured if it was a sensor, maybe some codes would appear. But then again, I cant seem to get the engine to run long enough. I have searched and only found limited results for other vehicles with no answer on what the fix was.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

Its possible that's its the culprit. Mine would run but you could go over 30 miles per hour with out your engine sounding like it was being suffocated.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM
sully5981
Rookie

So apparently it is not the cat. Just disconnected it before the cat and it still had the same trouble. However, this time I let the engine rev a little higher on the start up and after about 20-30 seconds, the truck runs fine. I don't know if it was because i only drive it every so often and its been like two weeks since i have driven it last? It doesn't get too cold here (its 65 degrees right now).

Either way how hard is it to change the cam position sensor and everything else that might be associated. I think gthe fuel pump is fine cause i can here it whine when the truck stalls.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the throttle body off, take the IAC out and see how much build-up is in there. The IAC itself may even be bad.

this time I let the engine rev a little higher on the start up and after about 20-30 seconds, the truck runs fine

Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
sully5981
Rookie

Originally Posted by TNtech
Take the throttle body off, take the IAC out and see how much build-up is in there. The IAC itself may even be bad.
it this the IAC and is that a lot of build up? there is also some built up on the throttle body. Would it be ok to take some carb cleaner and spray it down or should i take off the other sensors/connectors as well.
Name:  IMAG0458_zps5a956df8.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  67.9 KB

Old 02-09-2014, 02:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is the IAC, when cleaning it don't pull it, push on it or try to move the pintle or you will hoop the IAC. Take off all the other sensors before you clean the TB, and yes carb cleaner will work just fine.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
sully5981
Rookie

Originally Posted by merc225hp
That is the IAC, when cleaning it don't pull it, push on it or try to move the pintle or you will hoop the IAC. Take off all the other sensors before you clean the TB, and yes carb cleaner will work just fine.
Oh I can clean this? I was just going to get a new one. I think they are $34 at the local oreillys. Just wipe it down with a rag?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yeah, hit it with some chems, and clean it up nice. If it still works, save the 34 bucks.

Make sure to clean out the bore it goes in REALLY well too.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:09 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sully5981
it this the IAC and is that a lot of build up? there is also some built up on the throttle body. Would it be ok to take some carb cleaner and spray it down or should i take off the other sensors/connectors as well.
OH MY ! Yep, that's it. That's a funky monkey right there! Clean the end of it, make sure and clean the throttle plate/bore and the seat inside the t-body where it rests also. That is your idle air port. If it's blocked by crud OR that motor doesn't move fast enough when it's commanded to by the PCM, you will get exactly what you have described. You will get the same symptoms when you do a battery disconnect. There is a "learned" position for that motor to be in on startup.

My guess is that the motor is sluggish in responding and is toast but try to clean anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Start then quickly stall.....-imag0458_zps5a956df8.jpg  

Last edited by TNtech; 02-09-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
sully5981
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, hit it with some chems, and clean it up nice. If it still works, save the 34 bucks.

Make sure to clean out the bore it goes in REALLY well too.
re-use the trottle body gasket or spend ~$4 for a new one? I remember when I did my plenum someone said the best way to check was to take the throttle body off and peek inside the keg but I would have to spend 4 bucks on a new gasket. The old gasket seems fine but I dont know if they are a one time use thing.

Quick Reply: Start then quickly stall.....