2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM
vandezande1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-up

Hi guys want to do a total tune up swap on my 1999 dodge laramie 5.2 2wd with top of the line plugs wires and distributor. still have the factory wires and cap in her since she only has 55000 miles but looking for more performance and better mpg any suggestions on what wires plugs and cap i should use would be helpful...thanks

Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

You should start your own thread in the tech section instead of posting in the OT thread. Moving this post to the technical forum for you.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Autolite 3923's (I think) Good quality 8mm wires, and a cap with brass terminals. No point in spending 15 bucks a plug on the 'rare earth' fellers. Sometimes our trucks just don't like those.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep just about any 2 dollar copper plug will do just fine.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM
vandezande1

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You should start your own thread in the tech section instead of posting in the OT thread. Moving this post to the technical forum for you.
oops sorry new to forum will do next time

Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I actually recommend sticking with the OE Champion plugs. I had bought some basic copper plugs spec'd by the parts store (NGKs I think), and they ran fine for ~10,000mi. After that I developed a terrible misfire. Felt like the truck burned another valve.

I picked up an OE Champion set from the dealer, and compared the new plugs to the old ones. There was a noticeable difference in the height of the center electrode; the Champion plugs had a taller electrode that stuck out further. I was surprised to see the difference!

I went ahead and got a new set of Mopar plug wires, cap, and rotor to finish out the service. Figured I'd stick with OE stuff this time around.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

maybe the parts store gave you the wrong plugs. i have ngk in my truck. they do the job and iridium wires. thats like...70 bucks just for wires though. hope this helped

Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

When I changed out my plugs and wires, I used a set of Autolite platinum plugs and an Accel distributor cap and rotor with brass inserts. For plug wires, I picked up a set of Taylor custom fit 8MM wires from Summit Racing. Since the cap is way in the back and no fun to change, I really wanted the brass inserts in it for longevity.

Also, be sure to get rid of the spark plug heat tubes that are pressed into the head if you haven't already. They serve no good purpose at all, other than to collect dirt and debris around the plugs and allow them to rust out.

Quick Reply: Tune-up