2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 5.9l ca emissions..o2 sensor replacement

Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
rdiprima013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 01 5.9l ca emissions..o2 sensor replacement

hello all and thanks for your time.

i have 4 o2 sensors and have replaced 3 of the 4. the 4th is bank 1 sensor 1 ? location is driver's side upstream sensor. it is the first one down the pipe after the manifold on the driver's side....

I have searched this forum for any how-to's or sticky's to no avail...
I have googled 3 different search terms for this to no avail...

i can not remove it due to the fact that it is on a bend at the firewall and so far i can only get an offset o2 sensor socket on it, tried knuckle joint, wobble extension and 3' breaker bar to turn this pita out. i believe i cracked it loose, but got stuck turning it any further....a/t lines and shifting linkage is right there and preventing me from turning anymore.

here is the question: is there another point of attack to do? is the technique i'm using ok? just need to adjust it? OR do i have to disassemble the pipe to manifold's 2 bolts to drop the line and give me clearance? or that won't work and i have to drop the manifold of the block to get clearance?

the dealer service manual does not address specifically how to get at this particular sensor. nor any of the others for that matter. just says to remove and replace as the same...

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you get an open ended wrench in there? Thats what i used to get my old front sensor off. If you're removing to replace you can cut the wires to the old sensor as well to get a socket in there. Sorry im not familiar with the cali emissions setup, mine is a 2 sensor setup.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM
rdiprima013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved!

Hey Johnn123! ty for the hint...no box end or other end can get in there...(why haven't they made stubby box end ratcheting wrenches yet??!!?!) went at it again after work and was able to break it free with my 1/2" impact gun and knuckle joint with 2 xtension bars (about 8" total). the knuckle and o2 socket have to be positioned so as to let it rotate...also, i'm on my back looking up and noticed i had to use the impact gun's forward movement to counter-rotate...does that make any sense???old one out now, HATE THOSE CONNECTORS...just as bad if not worse than getting the sensor out about to get the new one in...yet another adventure. new o2 sensor i got (bosch 13664), I noticed that the barrel is thicker and probe has no holes....scared me for a minute....then i saw the turbine like slits down the barrel's shaft....i guess new design...boy this sensor is burnt...as expected...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 5.9l ca emissions..o2 sensor replacement