2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4/Drive train issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I found that if I rock the steering side to side some at low speed, it will generally break loose with a minimum of fuss.
That's exactly what I have been doing to disengage mine! Do you think its possible something (maybe those same bushings you mentioned) could be responsible for the noises while driving? Maybe an axle or part of the CAD is "floating" around or something..

Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

It's possible. Some axles had bushings, I think some older ones actually had a needle bearing for the inner axle "bushing". That seems like a good idea to me. More durable. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the cad, and see what things look like, and how much slop you have in there. (careful though, the bolts that hold the housing on like to break.)

Does the noise change when you turn the truck?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:08 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the cad, and see what things look like, and how much slop you have in there. (careful though, the bolts that hold the housing on like to break.)

Does the noise change when you turn the truck?
I'm sure it will be a PITA, mines rusted out pretty nicely and one of the vacuum ports already snapped short.

And actually it does. I just rebuilt the whole front end (feels great!!) And even with the front DS out I can hear a light whirring sort of noise when turning the wheel to the right. Going straight or left I can't hear anything at all though.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Left side wheel bearing maybe..... but, if it's new..... You aren't just being paranoid are you?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Left side wheel bearing maybe..... but, if it's new..... You aren't just being paranoid are you?
I doubt it, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong! If they are bad I sure as hell won't be getting the same brand!

And maybe slightly the sound of mechanical issues drives me crazy!!!

hopefully I come up with an answer when I swap out the CAD!!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand bearing did you get? Did you make sure to torque the axle nut to the proper value?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:49 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

What brand bearing did you get? Did you make sure to torque the axle nut to the proper value?
I did, but I probably should have gone with a higher end brand seeing as I can't even remember the name!! I will re-check

Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm still thinking it may be your wheel bearing, even though it was recently replaced, as there is a wide variety of quality in wheel bearings these days. Have you tried checking the wheel bearing for play/slop?

Quick Reply: 4x4/Drive train issue