2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
drtydn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston rings

Quick question. I'm burning a lot of oil. Say a quart every 200 miles. I know my plenum plate gasket is bad, I have everything ordered for that repair as well as head gaskets, valve seals, etc.... if after I repair all these and find my piston rings are bad; am I going to have to remove the engine from the truck or can I do the rings without removing the engine... also next payday I'm doing getting front and rear main seals, rod bearing, main bearings (if I can without removing the engine), and new oil pump. My only concern is removing the engine, I just don't have time or cherry picker.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

How many miles are on the motor? Have you also checked your PCV valve to insure that it's not gummed up and possible sucking oil into the motor? Has the motor seen regular oil and filter changes over its life?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM
drtydn
Rookie

New PCV valve 2000 miles ago.... 231000 miles on motor. Regular oil and filter change since I got the truck at the beginning of the year. Previous owner used the truck as a work truck and I have high doubts he took care if it as he should've

Last edited by drtydn; 06-21-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a dry and then a wet compression test.

That will tell you what you need to do.

Do you have good oil pressure?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM
drtydn
Rookie

Oil pressure good for first 10 Miles of driving then drops, then none at stops unless I push on the gas a little.... this is why I'm changing the oil pump next payday at

Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
drtydn
Rookie

Also my question was if I need new rings or pistons do I absolutely have to take the engine out

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

At almost 20 years old and based upon your description, I'd be inclined to lean towards either a rebuild or finding another 5.9 motor in decent shape and lower mileage to swap out your old motor with. You can purchase a used cherry picker on craigslist, rent one from a tool rental place or purchase a new one at places like Harbor Freight Tools - engine hoists have come way down in price over the years. You will need a location to perform your repairs, preferable a garage.

For example, a few years ago, I found a used 5.9 motor on craigslist for $400. Before I swapped it into my truck, I installed a new high volume oil pump, used Milodon deep oil pan, new water pump, plenum repair kit, double roller timing chain and gear set, distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires and installed it into the truck. Still riding that same motor today.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can re-ring without pulling the engine. You're pulling heads and pan anyway, great time to pull the pistons as well. Just be sure to hone cylinders and check ring end gap before installing.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Arde
You can re-ring without pulling the engine. You're pulling heads and pan anyway, great time to pull the pistons as well. Just be sure to hone cylinders and check ring end gap before installing.
This.

You are going to be most of the way there already. With the heads and oil pan off, it's just unbolt the rod caps, and push the pistons out. Keep track of which hole they go in, and what cap goes with which rod. That is IMPORTANT.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
drtydn
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
At almost 20 years old and based upon your description, I'd be inclined to lean towards either a rebuild or finding another 5.9 motor in decent shape and lower mileage to swap out your old motor with. You can purchase a used cherry picker on craigslist, rent one from a tool rental place or purchase a new one at places like Harbor Freight Tools - engine hoists have come way down in price over the years. You will need a location to perform your repairs, preferable a garage.

For example, a few years ago, I found a used 5.9 motor on craigslist for $400. Before I swapped it into my truck, I installed a new high volume oil pump, used Milodon deep oil pan, new water pump, plenum repair kit, double roller timing chain and gear set, distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires and installed it into the truck. Still riding that same motor today.
im slowly doing a rebuild, however, due to the truck being my only means of transportation for work I only have limited time so I have to do it part by part... I don't mind pulling the motor, but i only have weekendes

Quick Reply: piston rings