DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   96 ram 2500 start then dies help (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/376531-96-ram-2500-start-then-dies-help.html)

akehayias 06-25-2014 08:01 AM

96 ram 2500 start then dies help

I have a 96 ram 2500 with the 5.9 that when i start it it immediately dies. However if i give it gas, it stays running. If i stay on the gas for a few seconds, it will idle at low rpm, and stay running and i can drive it. This does not happen all the time just sporadically. Iac was replace 6 months ago. Please help me figure this out as this is the only mechanical issue and im trying to sell it. Thanks

HeyYou 06-26-2014 10:09 AM

What brand IAC?

Where ya at, and how much do you want for it? Pics??

akehayias 06-27-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3176594)
What brand IAC?

Where ya at, and how much do you want for it? Pics??

Im in melbourne fl. Not sure what brand IAC cause it was the only one AutoZone had. Its the 5.9 magnum, also the transmission was rebuilt a few years ago to the 3500 transmission. (Better for pulling and torque) will try to post pics

HeyYou 06-28-2014 12:08 PM

Ouch. Too much of a drive that. :)

h3lzsn1p3r 06-28-2014 02:13 PM

how is your battery is it strong? i have had 2 trucks that came in to the shop now that the battery was getting weak put a new battery in it and it fixed it. try cleaning the iac and throttle body port they get gummed up

akehayias 06-30-2014 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r (Post 3177160)
how is your battery is it strong? i have had 2 trucks that came in to the shop now that the battery was getting weak put a new battery in it and it fixed it. try cleaning the iac and throttle body port they get gummed up

The battery tested a little weak but still well within operational standards. The IAC is less than six months old and when i replaced that i cleaned the ports, intake, everything. When the IAC went bad last time it died anytimeicame off the gas. This time its just sporadically. Usually when i first start it.

h3lzsn1p3r 06-30-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by akehayias (Post 3177629)
The battery tested a little weak but still well within operational standards. The IAC is less than six months old and when i replaced that i cleaned the ports, intake, everything. When the IAC went bad last time it died anytimeicame off the gas. This time its just sporadically. Usually when i first start it.

its the battery. even when a battery tests weak but still i parameters it can cause these issues

Ham Bone 06-30-2014 05:51 PM

ive had the exact same problems with a weak battery.

torxdurley 07-03-2014 05:20 PM

Have you rented a obd tester?

Hello,
I was having the same problem and I wasn't getting a CEL but I got a free rental tester and my 96 Ram 1500 3.9L was throwing a code I can't remember. It pointed me,as well as a board member to my CMP or Camshaft Position Sensor. It is located inside the distributor cap and regulates the fuel/ignition timing if I remember correctly. I replaced my rotor while I was in the distributor because the distributor is located way down behind the throttle body and isn't the easiest thing to get to. There is also a Crankshaft Position Sensor called a CKP located on the left rear side of the engine block, bolted below the transfer pump. It senses the position of the crankshaft and engine speed and works with the ECM or the brains of your truck to help determine fuel and ignition timing as well. I may be wrong with some acronyms here but a rented sensor can go a long way to help solve problems even when your check engine light isn't on. Removing and cleaning your throttle body may help your issue. I know that the IAC, CMP stopped my rough to no idle, and dying at low RPM's problems for good. Also, it will be said on here many times to avoid the AutoZone brand devices and go with higher end lifetime warranty devices. I used O'Reilly's BDW parts in all my replacements. I also replaced my coil as it is attached to a ******* heat sink on the passenger side right up front of the engine where heat and grime are at its worst.
Good luck,
Torx