2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanting to Stall/will cut out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanting to Stall/will cut out

So in the past year or two my truck use to stall out while driving, and not want to start up again, it was a crap shoot. Replaced the crank sensor, new plugs and wires, and didn't have the problem again. About a year goes by, and I'm having this problem again. I'll just be driving down the road, it doesn't matter what gear, or speed, and the engine will almost like try to cutout and drop 50 rpms and go right back to where it was, sometimes it will even die, and when it does actually die, it doesn't always want to start up again for a little while. Now I've been driving it risky like this for about a month, hopefully trying to narrow it down, but it happens at so random, I have no idea. It will happen most frequently I think when I'm at idle in drive/park. She'll try to cut out on me multiple times at a light, praying she doesn't. Now I do have some serious vacuum leaks, enough to give me no cruise control/ and wacky vents, but that was going on also before this started. So I'm now confused, I had the crank sensor tested, and tested fine, but I don't know what they did so I'm left to find the problem myself. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I do have a thought of the TPS (throttle position sensor) but if anyone has a better thought on this it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to feel my truck is trustworthy to take farther than 15 miles.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the obvious problems first. Fix the vacuum leaks first, that will help your truck run better, then check for any codes, then check things like the fuel pressure, check for bad sensors, like the TPS, MAP sensor, temp sensor. Have you ever replaced the 02 sensors ?, if there original with over 80,000 miles on them, then there bad and need to be replaced (don`t use Bosch 02 sensors). When was the last time your truck had a complete tune up, cap/rotor, plugs and wires ?.

Quick Reply: Wanting to Stall/will cut out