2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fogs to Daytime Running Lights?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Otto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogs to Daytime Running Lights?

Howdy! I've been seeing all the new "cool" cars and trucks with bright white, LED daytime running lights and was wondering if I could change out the bulbs on my 1998 SLT Laramie factory fog lights to something like this. I never use my fogs and they are switched from inside the cab, so I think it would be ideal.

Any thoughts on what I'd need to do? Would I just have to buy LED bulbs and put them in or would there be more to this? If I do use LED bulbs, what bulb would you recommend?

I also have thought of mounting LED lights on my bull bar. Could these be hooked up to the fog lights so that both would come on with the switch? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks so much! I'm not real handy, but I think I can change a light bulb!

Otto

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by Otto
Howdy! I've been seeing all the new "cool" cars and trucks with bright white, LED daytime running lights and was wondering if I could change out the bulbs on my 1998 SLT Laramie factory fog lights to something like this. I never use my fogs and they are switched from inside the cab, so I think it would be ideal.

Any thoughts on what I'd need to do? Would I just have to buy LED bulbs and put them in or would there be more to this? If I do use LED bulbs, what bulb would you recommend?

I also have thought of mounting LED lights on my bull bar. Could these be hooked up to the fog lights so that both would come on with the switch? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks so much! I'm not real handy, but I think I can change a light bulb!

Otto
This is an interesting proposition. I would do it a little differently. Since you don't use the fog lights, you could use that switch. But it would have to be rewired, as the fog lights only run when the low beams are on. Personally, i would install a light bar, put in a new switch and do it that way.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Otto

Hmm...I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll just go with LED daytime running lights from some source, like Ebay, and mount them on the bull bar. I have mounting tabs that came with the bull bar, about 15" apart. That could be cool.

If I did this would you just do a direct hook-up to the battery and a ground? But I guess that would mean they'd be on all the time. Damn, I'm too old to learn new stuff!

Otto

Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate those things. They blind the shat out of me and look like little ricers with coffee can mufflers

Old 07-17-2014, 12:54 AM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by Otto
Hmm...I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll just go with LED daytime running lights from some source, like Ebay, and mount them on the bull bar. I have mounting tabs that came with the bull bar, about 15" apart. That could be cool.

If I did this would you just do a direct hook-up to the battery and a ground? But I guess that would mean they'd be on all the time. Damn, I'm too old to learn new stuff!

Otto

I would hook it up to something that is only on when the key is turned. Such as the radio or similar things(of which I cant actually think of off the top of my head).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fogs to Daytime Running Lights?