2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shimming Aftermarket CKP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
gatorheel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimming Aftermarket CKP

I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor in my 2000 Ram 1500 5.9 with an aftermarket part. Fired up OK, but I'm getting a tapping noise now from the general vicinity. Since it's in such a bad spot, I can't tell 100% that the tapping is coming from the new sensor, but the tapping started after I replaced the part, so I'm pretty sure. I read in another thread that the aftermarket parts can be longer than OEM, so I assume the tapping is the end of the sensor hitting the flywheel. FWIW, the original rubber grommet is in place and in good shape.

Did I maybe just crush the grommet too much and I can fix it by backing out the bolts a 1/4 turn? If not and I need to shim, does anyone have advice on how to shim the sensor out a bit? It looks like this is a pretty high temp location, so I'm not really sure the best way to do it.

Thanks!
Matt

Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The grommet has nothing to do with the depth of the sensor. And yes, I have seen the same issue. I'd remove it and compare to the old one. And I had this same noise with the original crank sensor on my 2000. I replaced it with a Standard Motor Products brand. But, beofre I installed it, I used compressed air in the hole while some one cranked the motor. After install, I had no more ticking sound.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
The grommet has nothing to do with the depth of the sensor.
Really? My grommet sticks up about 1/8" from the hole in the block. I assumed that was to prevent the grommet from sliding down into the hole when you insert the sensor, but it could also act as a "soft" standoff.

Originally Posted by zman17
And yes, I have seen the same issue. I'd remove it and compare to the old one. And I had this same noise with the original crank sensor on my 2000. I replaced it with a Standard Motor Products brand. But, beofre I installed it, I used compressed air in the hole while some one cranked the motor. After install, I had no more ticking sound.
Ugh, it took me nearly an hour to get in installed (although I'm sure it would be much faster the second time around). So your recommendation would be, if the sensor lengths are different, to buy a different sensor that is the correct length? Lesson learned to double-check before install I guess. The one I have in there now is made by BWD.

Matt

Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

One last question. It's not clear from the service manual, but does the tip of the sensor align to the edge of the flywheel or does it align in front of or behind (and next to) the flywheel? In other words: is my problem that the sensor is too deep or is it that it's crooked?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubber grommet is on transmission houding around CKS opening. CKS bolts to engine block. The grommet just closes the hole up, as as zman says, it has nothing to do depth of sensor.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It lines up with the outer edge of the flywheel and detects the notches in it. The grommet is just for keeping crap out.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Got it, the bracket is separate from the sensor, so the grommet isn't in play. Am I crazy to want to just shim it with a washer on each side? The store I got it from is notorious about not accepting returns for "used" items, and I kind of just don't want to deal with that drama.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Like I said, compare it to the old one. If the new one is different, it's the wrong part simple as that. If they don't take it back, don't ever go there again.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If THEY gave you the wrong part, it is on them. I agree, if they do not take the return, I would find another parts store. Shimming may work, but correct fit is always preferable.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:45 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Shimming may also give you a poor reading on the flywheel, best to get the correct sensor.

Quick Reply: Shimming Aftermarket CKP