2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end

ok guys been a while since i have been on here...i have a 2000 ram off road with 411 gears and when i went to change fluid in the rear end it was messy and had a piece of the clutch pack in it...my question is im going to change the whole carrier in it and was wanting to know what you guys thought on which one...oem with clutch packs or maybe a detroit or what do you guys think...and where is best and cheapest place to get it???

Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Rear lockers/limited slips aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. You can rebuild your current carrier for under 200 bucks though.....

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^Agreed. Rebuilding the clutch pack is economical and better if you have the mechanical aptitude/tools for it. The LSD in the ORE (I had one and loved it actually) did very well (street, snow, and trails).

If you want to dump it anyways, then consider the Detroit Truetrac. There are a few people here with good things to say about that. If you are on the street and get annoyed with clicking sounds, then it might not be for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

yes i have had the truck for ten years and it has hauled other trucks, been in the mud, played in the snow,hauled a lot of concret....so i think the oem has lasted pretty well a good amount of time for what it has been through....so if i rebuild current one just get the clutch pack sets and all the bearings and seals???

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Wait for confirmation on this, but: I don't think you even need to pull the carrier to rebuild the clutch packs..... Of course, rebuilding with new bearings and seals isn't a bad idea. More expensive though.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I link this almost each time I catch one of these threads.. Good read for you in the position you're in:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/10...dana-trac-lok/

Parts are cheap to rebuild it. Personally, That's the route I'd go if everything else is okay. Check everything closely. When mine went, I ended up needing a new carrier and bearings. Don't push off the repair, regardless of which way you decide to go.

Quick Reply: rear end