2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't turn steering wheel when weight is on the front tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Juvenator93
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't turn steering wheel when weight is on the front tires??

Okay guys, so my rig has developed a new problem. For some time now i have noticed that my steering wheel makes a bit of a creaking noise. It always sounded as though it was coming from inside the truck, so I never really paid to much attention to it (my dad's Subaru has a bad power steering pump, and my truck sounds nothing like the noise his makes). Well a few days ago while I was pulling out of my driveway I noticed that once my front tires hit the road (when there is extra weight on them from dipping down onto the road from the driveway) that I could not turn the wheel for a brief second! Once the initial bounce from the dip of the driveway and the extra weight was lifted though, I regained normal steering. It has happened several times since then, any time I pull out of a driveway or parking lot. Any ideas what it might be??? I'm doing a tune up (oil, filters, plugs, PCV) and changing my heater core this weekend, so I was hopping to figure out the problem and knock it out while i'm at it. Thanks in advanced guys!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Think I would jack up the front, and inspect EVERYTHING in the steering...... If it is doing it on bumps now, it is only going to get worse.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would jack up the front, and inspect EVERYTHING in the steering...... If it is doing it on bumps now, it is only going to get worse.

I honestly guess steering pump. It sounds like under normal circumstances either the driver or the pump (or both together) have enough strength to turn the wheels, but as soon as there is extra weight added to the front wheels, adding more friction, then the pump cant keep up anymore.

Just a guessin.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

So what should I check exactly?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like something is binding up for a couple of seconds while there is a little extra pressure on the front end. Is all of your front suspension original ?, if it is, im thinking something is probably worn out and causing the problem your having. It could be worn out ball joints, worn out tie rod ends, or it could even be the stock steering box. They are known to be a problem and an out dated design. When they wear out they can cause your truck to wander from side to side.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Juvenator93
Professional

I have replaced most of my front end components within the last 24mo. Including tie rods, ball joints, gear box and track bar. How could I tell if it's the pump? I don't do any extreme off roading or have huge tires and wheels, so I don't think I'd wear out my parts that fast? I use midgrade to premium parts on my rig, but I can always check it out

Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the steering locking, or is it merely difficult to turn? Hear any odd noises when the problem presents itself?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Juvenator93
Professional

The steering wheel becomes seemingly impossible to move for a brief moment. No noises become apparent when it happens

Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then you likely have something jamming up. Getting a couple friends to help you, by having them stand on the front bumper in various places may allow you to duplicate the problem while standing still. I would suspect it's a geometry problem.... when the steering linkage is in just the 'wrong' spot, it locks up.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A worn ball joint is bottoming out in the socket and "wedging" when force is pushing downward. Which one...who knows? Your truck doesn't look high enough to have an issue with something over articulating I wouldn't think.

My .02

Last edited by TNtech; 08-24-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't turn steering wheel when weight is on the front tires??