DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   compete a drive cycle without driving (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/384913-compete-a-drive-cycle-without-driving.html)

J415 03-08-2015 06:47 AM

compete a drive cycle without driving

Hey DF. It's been a while.for a question for you. I just bought a 01 ram 2500. I agreed with the seller I'd take care of smog I'd he'd lower the price. Before I went to smog it, a p0442 popped up. It was a missing house clamp on the gas filler neck. Cleared the code. So now I have to drive it a full drive cycle before I take it to smog. The kicker is (to my knowledge) I have to smog it, THEN register it a insure it in that order. I don't want to risk getting pulled over or getting in an accident. Is there a machine I can buy or pay a mechanic to trigger a full drive cycle? Thanks again for the reply.

HeyYou 03-08-2015 10:01 AM

Nice ta see ya again. :)

May wanna call DMV, and see what they have to say. There must be some provision for the situation your find yourself in...... Will the smog place give you a temporary waiver till the truck completes it's drive cycle?

So far as I know, the only way to do it, is to actually drive it...

Largefarva 03-08-2015 10:51 AM

^Correct, there is no other way to do it, unless you can run it on a dyno, but that would take a long time.
In my area we are able to insure the car and buy a temporary 10-day permit for $10. You should have something similar in place where you are, ask at the dmv as suggested.
Fwiw, to do the drive cycle and get the evap system to run will need between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel.

Moparite 03-08-2015 11:42 AM

I have to smog it, THEN register it a insure it in that order.
So how do you drive on the road with out insurance and registration? Sound backwards to me.

May wanna call DMV, and see what they have to say.
X2!

bjpomeroy 03-08-2015 01:53 PM

Should be able to insure it without registration or smog I would think. I have insured vehicles that weren't even in my name before.

Moparite 03-09-2015 04:27 PM

Yea, Insurance then registration then inspection. Dmv asks for proof of insurance before they will give it to you.

J415 03-18-2015 07:45 PM

Hey fellas. just wanted to say thanks for the replies.So my sister works for the DMV and she was the one who supplied me with the false info on purpose. It was payback for a semi-practical joke I played on her. I told her that Ben Davis (the work clothes company) was the brother of Al Davis (former Raider owner) and thats how he got the money to buy the raiders. She believed me. Anyhow, got everything squared away.

HeyYou 03-18-2015 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by J415 (Post 3234666)
Hey fellas. just wanted to say thanks for the replies.So my sister works for the DMV and she was the one who supplied me with the false info on purpose. It was payback for a semi-practical joke I played on her. I told her that Ben Davis (the work clothes company) was the brother of Al Davis (former Raider owner) and thats how he got the money to buy the raiders. She believed me. Anyhow, got everything squared away.

Paybacks a .... well, you know. :) Glad ya got it sorted.

jmhd1989 03-20-2015 12:55 PM

to clear up the order for everyone, in good old CA where the OP is from, every third year i believe, you need to get your vehicle smogged to before it can be registered. when you get your notice it states mail in payment with certificate of emissions passing. CA blows

Wh1t3NuKle 03-20-2015 02:05 PM

It's bi-annual.

Yes you get a notice with the registration renewal.

Pretty simple.

Works well, unless you have a problem keeping your pooop maintained. ;)