DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   When od is off... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/385335-when-od-is-off.html)

cutthroatxxx 03-19-2015 08:33 PM

When od is off...

OK so I just got all my bugs worked out with the vacuum leaks&the new t case got 4x4 working&now this has me worried.When I start the truck od off light is always off/ not illuminated which I belive is how the button on my gasser for od was.Well if I push the button on shifter & illuminate the light then take off from a dead stop I feel it shift out of 1st gear but feel nothing else shift wise as I get close to 55 I'm around 3800 rpm no shift.Im expecting it to shift any second & nada. But high revving ,I slow down do the same thing with od button pushed in&all is well.Is this normal? I'm just now learning about these trucks for years all I rode were bikes&sbcs these are a whole new world compared to a small block.So can anyone tell me if this is normal or not.If not what could it be?Thanks BTW it's a 2500 with 4:10 s&only on 33s

2damnyankee 03-19-2015 08:56 PM

The over drive button will always be off when you start the truck, When over drive is not lit up that means it will go all four gears, when light is on you will only get 3 gears

cutthroatxxx 03-19-2015 08:59 PM

OK so when I start the truck overdrive is already on correct? Also what I'm saying about how it red lines after I've pushed the old button around the time I hit 60 it feels like it's not hitting 3rd I take off go to second then it gets close to red line around 55 so I back off of it.

HeyYou 03-19-2015 09:31 PM

Does it shift correctly with O/D on? (doesn't skip any gears??)

cutthroatxxx 03-19-2015 09:50 PM

Just fine with I'd on I'm thinking maybe it just didn't like to go from a complete stop upto 50th not in overdrive pedal to the floor .The point left the owners manual in it with original window sticker I just read of operating procedure it says it should be in on above 30.But heyyou the gasser I had when I 1st joined a few years back you explained to me about the old on that which we as the rh model in my 95..you could still go balls out with I'd off it was even snappier.This thing it just don't seem right.We just went in a 200 mile Rd trip this weekend & @ 3 different times I hit of off &flew for a sec or 2 on a long stretch if Rd but maybe I was only doing 40 or 50 I'll try again tomorrow but today while doing 70 which is the speed on hey here I turn of off& it revd so high thought it was gonna blow up.So I quickly turned of back on&all was fine.
BTW using text to speech sorry 4 any typos

Wildman4x4nut 03-20-2015 04:16 AM

I think you might need to adjust your TV cable.

cutthroatxxx 03-20-2015 04:37 AM

I just took her out for a test run & this is what I got.I can tell when I shift into 2nd with of off but never seem to get to 3rd, but all is fine when I am in od in both cases right after I hit 2nd I can feel a small surge almost feels like a down shift but doesn't seem alarming.I cannot get out of 2nd with od off the motor...it's like a manual you can tell by the sound that it wants to shift but it won't, throw it into od & it shifts right away. If I'm doing return od off I'm still rolling fine.How could I not have 3rd gear with overdrive off but have it with overdrive on? My shift linkage feels funky it has to be slightly juggled between n d 2 to rest properly in drive but that's it.I can't find anybody online with anything similar.

HeyYou 03-20-2015 08:32 AM

I know the RE transmission have issues shifting at large throttle openings..... but it won't shift even if you are gentle on it??

Moparite 03-20-2015 04:18 PM

Try driving it normally!(With out the pedal to the floor) In drive(not manually shifting) you should be able to count the shifts. Od will not kick in till about 45 mph. Also if your speedometer is not working the pcm doesn't know what speed you are going to shift into od. Your tv cable may be out of adjustment if it revs high before it shifts.

cutthroatxxx 03-20-2015 04:44 PM

It doesn't Rev high but after 2nd with or off, I am going I need drive& not shifting manually & I try with foot not floored no change