DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Dodge Ram no crank (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/387941-dodge-ram-no-crank.html)

Dodge th world 06-19-2015 02:02 PM

Dodge Ram no crank

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 v6 3.9lt magnum 2 wheel drive. This truck has been sitting for a year and I have been working on and off it for a year. It ran fine till I turned it off and went back the next day to start it. You turn the key and it makes one knocking sound and that's it. I have bought a new battery a rebuilt starter and neither of this fixed the problem what could I be missing. Any help is greatly appreciated n

HeyYou 06-19-2015 08:50 PM

Can you tell where the sound is coming from? Is the starter solenoid actually engaging, and the starter just not turning the motor? Or is all you are hearing just the click of the starter relay?

Can test the relay, just swap it with the horn relay. (both in the PDC, under the hood, right behind the battery.)

Dodge th world 06-19-2015 11:18 PM

We pulled the starter hooked to the battery and it didn't turn. The sound is not a click click click it is just a quick loud click or knock at that's it. Also removed belt tried to turn motor and it didn't move

Moparite 06-20-2015 11:10 AM

Sound like the bendix is engaging but not turning the motor. Take the plugs out and try turning the motor with a socket/breaker bar on the damper bolt not by hand.

Dodge th world 06-20-2015 12:56 PM

Tried turning the motor with socket and breaker bar. Put the socket on the pulley that is in the closest to the ground. The socket was 1-1/2 inch. It did not turn or move pulled it from right to left looking at the front of pickup. Plugs were removed and belt removed.

HeyYou 06-20-2015 04:33 PM

Take off the serpentine belt, and try again. If it still won't turn, time for a new motor.

Dodge th world 06-20-2015 04:45 PM

I have already taken off the belt still will not turn. Please tell me there is something else besides a new motor

HeyYou 06-20-2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge th world (Post 3251455)
I have already taken off the belt still will not turn. Meade te me there is something else besides a new motor

That last sentence there got butchered by someones auto complete. :)

If the crank won't turn with the starter out, and the belt off, time to pull the inspection plate, and unbolt the torque converter, and try again. Unfortunately, to get all the bolts out of the torque converter, you need to be able to turn the engine.........

Dodge th world 06-20-2015 10:41 PM

Oh yes always love the auto correct or auto complete. Is there another way to check to see if it is the engine and if it is seized can it be undone. If it needs a motor what year dodge motor would fit in it.

Moparite 06-21-2015 08:08 AM

Drop the pan and take a look. If you catastrophic damage or a seized bearing it won't hart to find.