DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Stuttering, loss of powe,r fuel or other (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/387966-stuttering-loss-of-powe-r-fuel-or-other.html)

whitesquirrel45 06-20-2015 01:49 PM

Stuttering, loss of power, fuel or other

I have a 99 ram 1500 5.2. I got this truck a year ago and it ran like poop. So I did I tune up; cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. That was last June and afterwards it ran great. Fast forward to Feb/march. I found this forum and I did my water pump, plenum, and timing set. I cleaned my IAC and replaced valve cover gaskets at the same time. About a month ago it started running like poo again. Stalling, spitting, sputtering. When I first start the truck, its fine for a few seconds and then it starts. It spits and sputters, I hit the gas its ok for a minute and back to crap. When I take off it wants to die so I floor it and the truck comes out of it. About 40-50 mph it wants to do this all again so I put it in neutral and pump the gas. The rpms increase without any problems. 55-60 mph with the cruise set the truck develops the same issues. I replaced the plugs about 2 weeks ago and this didn't help. The old plugs looked as if the truck was running lean.

The temp seems to be low also. Running down the road it looks like its a little more than a 1/3 of the way up the gauge. I replaced the t stat also along with the temp sensor next to it. When I turn the truck off at a gas station and get back in to start it the gauge reads closer to 210.
I'm in the process of changing my o2 sensors, big PITA, to see if this will help my stalling issue. Im going to test my fuel pressure later today to eliminate that as a problem. I don't want to just throw parts at it until its fixed, please help!

HeyYou 06-20-2015 04:32 PM

O2 sensors are a good place to start. See if that helps. Next step, I think I would go after the crank position sensor.....

whitesquirrel45 06-20-2015 04:38 PM

Thanks, any advice or tips for getting the @#$% things out?

HeyYou 06-20-2015 04:39 PM

Heat, a pipe wrench, and a long breaker bar. :D Not like you care if you trash 'em takin' 'em out.

whitesquirrel45 06-21-2015 06:23 PM

Been out here for over an hour and I still can't get these @#$%ers to break loose...Will a shop do it even if I don't have a cat installed?

HeyYou 06-21-2015 07:19 PM

Grab a pipe wrench, and a big hammer. Put the pipe wrench on the sensor, reasonably tight, SMACK it with the hammer to get it to break loose, then it should come out fairly easily.

UnregisteredUser 06-21-2015 07:52 PM

Uh, never mind. I repeated what HeyYou said because I opened the reply window before he posted, but didn't submit until after.

HeyYou 06-21-2015 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser (Post 3251632)
Uh, never mind. I repeated what HeyYou said because I opened the reply window before he posted, but didn't submit until after.

Great minds think alike. :D

UnregisteredUser 06-21-2015 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3251641)
Great minds think alike. :D

And every now and then, entirely by mistake, I think like they do. :D

whitesquirrel45 06-25-2015 09:26 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and change out my crank position sensor as well. I know that our trucks are kind of picky when it comes to sensors, so which should I buy?