2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RE Tranny in place of RH Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM
thegooey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE Tranny in place of RH Tranny?

I have a 46RE from a '99 Ram 1500 5.2L 4wd. I would like to use it behind a '94 3.9L that originally came with a 42RH. I was wondering if anyone had converted from a RH to an RE transmission? I haven't found any RH to RE threads. I have the harness connector for the RE and the diagrams for both vehicles. Theoretically I should be able to tap in to the needed sensors for inputs, etc. But I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to do and I was hoping someone else has done it before and could give some feedback. I am using the RE because it is a shorter transmission and I needed the shortest one i could find for my application (Jeep Wrangler). Thank you for any input.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

The PCM doesn't have any provisions to run the RE trans. You would need to go to an OBDII system. PCM, and wiring harness for engine/trans. (probably need to update some of the sensors as well, but, comparing part numbers would tell the tale there.)

Easiest swap would be pcm/harness from 96 or 97 truck. A lot changed in 98......

Old 07-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The difference between the two (RH-RE) H is for hydraulic and the E is for Electronically operated. The RE needs OBD2 to work. Not sure it the valebodys could be swapped. Still would have an issue with the speed sensor. May be able to frankenstein the two to get it to work. ??? That would be easier than converting to a OBD2.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
The difference between the two (RH-RE) H is for hydraulic and the E is for Electronically operated. The RE needs OBD2 to work. Not sure it the valebodys could be swapped. Still would have an issue with the speed sensor. May be able to frankenstein the two to get it to work. ??? That would be easier than converting to a OBD2.
I think changing to OBDII would still be easier, as the RE trans has zero provision for the governor assembly of the RH.... so, no real way to control shift points......

Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

Would a 46RH transmission not work at all? It would likely be the easiest to get to work, as long as it isn't too long.

Quick Reply: RE Tranny in place of RH Tranny?