DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Clunking when turning? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/389939-clunking-when-turning.html)

Erik P 09-16-2015 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite (Post 3264131)
Track bar? Our trucks have had the steering column clunk issue i wonder if that's what you are hearing.

It just really does sound further back then that.

This is driving me crazy, I can't figure this out. I consider myself pretty handy at this stuff, I've even went to school for a heavy duty equipment tech. But this has me stumped.
It's gotten worse and will clunk more often around town now.
Driving straight doesn't do it (very often anyways)
Turning the tires while the truck isn't moving won't do it.
But cranking the wheels all the way (truck running, not moving) and then letting of the brake with the truck in drive and rolling forward a foot will make it clunk. Is there anything you guys can think of that will cause a clunk in the mid to rear of the truck by turning with the wheels cranked?
Again, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, I'm new to dodge trucks and am tearing my hair out over this.

Erik P 09-16-2015 02:00 PM

For the most part, it clunks only once when I turn the wheels, and then won't clunk again, till I turn then the other way.

HeyYou 09-16-2015 02:10 PM

Noise can travel around the truck, and sound likes its coming from someplace that doesn't even relate to the noise..... grab a friend, have him/her drive the truck, while you walk beside it, and try and figure out where the noise is coming from. Have the hood open as well.

Erik P 09-16-2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3264205)
Noise can travel around the truck, and sound likes its coming from someplace that doesn't even relate to the noise..... grab a friend, have him/her drive the truck, while you walk beside it, and try and figure out where the noise is coming from. Have the hood open as well.

Holy crap, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is ridiculous, I've never had so much trouble locating a noise before...
So twice now I've had someone drive the truck while I've listened for it, and it hasn't revealed anything, still sounds like its coming from the T-case area, maybe to the left or right of it though.

Its getting worse lately, it clunks pretty much 24/7 aside from when I'm driving in a straight line going fast.
Today leaving work i noticed i could reproduce the clunk wight the truck in park, so today i laid under the truck while my GF turn the wheel lock to lock, it was hard to get it to clunk, there has to be some kind of load on the drive train to get a clunk, but even while i was under there, the it still sounded like T-case area, actually the drivers side frame rail by the T-case, which makes no sense.

Has anybody ever had a clunk/pop like this before, mostly when turning? I'm desperate for an answer as i feel I've been beaten. I don't really have the money to pay a shop a few hundred dollars or more to diagnose this for me, but that might be my only hope. this is bizarre.

Erik P 09-16-2015 10:53 PM

I put my hands on just about everything under there, i can't feel the clunk/pop though the T-case, Control arms, frame, cross member, nothing. I can however feel it sometimes through the floor boards when I'm driving. Does the fact i feel it through the floor boards, and not the steering wheel or pedals mean anything?

HeikIlm 09-17-2015 04:46 AM

I would place my money on track-bar, specifially frame side mount. Had exact same sympthoms on Dodge and Jeep.
Crawl under there, and while your GF turns the steering wheel, look the frame side mount, or grab the mount, you'll feel the movement.

Moparite 09-17-2015 01:31 PM

Erik P 09-17-2015 04:39 PM

Right on guys. The more I think about it the more I believe it to be the frame side of the track bar. I'm going to inspect that after work, but I feel I'm on to something here.

Erik P 09-18-2015 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Moparite (Post 3264391)

Hey moparite, thanks a lot for all the help.
I've watched that video over and over and did a full suspension/steering inspection tonight, yet again. Didn't find anything new, and I was really unhappy when I seen my track bar at the frame hardly, I mean just barely moved when the steering wheel was being turned back and forth...

My question is, is it possible that either my (slightly) with track bar, or my sloppy tie rod end could be clunking when the truck is rolling and under load? My truck steers really nice and doesn't wander at the moment either...

HeyYou 09-18-2015 08:37 AM

Got grease fittings? If you do, hit 'em all with a bit o' grease, and see if that changes the noise at all.