2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grinding cant tell if its transfer case or trans or driveline

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Bipper Bip Bizzip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding cant tell if its transfer case or trans or driveline

ok so my 98 Ram 1500 4x4 recently started grinding.I had to do a quick emergency muffler change so it was just held on with clamp and some tie wire. So when I first heard the grinding noise i thought the muffler had dropped because it sounded just like a muffler dragging on concrete. Well checked muffler it was fine so over next few days the grinding noise has gotten much worse. At first thought it was coming from the rear end. Well it sounds more like its coming from around the transfer case. It does not sound like its far enough in the front to be in the transmission . If the truck is not in 4wd isn't the transfer case not even doing anything to have grinding going on with it?

Im pretty much noob and any help would be great. Could it be driveline or could it be in rear end but traveling up the driveline to make it sound like its in trans case?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it occur when driving straight, turning, or both.

If worse when turning, it could be that you have a LSD and the clutch pack is gone.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:19 AM
Bipper Bip Bizzip

Originally Posted by Spillage
Does it occur when driving straight, turning, or both.

If worse when turning, it could be that you have a LSD and the clutch pack is gone.
No turning does not make any difference. its when I push on the gas mostly when I start to take off from a stop. If I let off the gas it will not grind until i push gas again. it will do it up to about 20mph give or take a couple mph. Then it won't start grinding until i stop again

Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Check fluid level in the t-case.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Bipper Bip Bizzip

Ok so i changed fluid in transfer case. It was pretty nasty but level was full. Did find quite a bit of metal shavings when pouring old fluid into oil jug. Still grinds. I had my girl take it to a shop to get free inspection,dude got in and road with her and right away said it was the starter gear not retracting and it was grinding on flywheel. So i go get new starter and put it in and nope not the problem. It still grinding.

I really cant afford to take it into a shop and have them start taking stuff apart for them to tell me its going to be 3k to fix it on top of what id get charged for them taking it apart to find problem. I just paid 4k for the dang truck. Since ive had it ive already had to replace the clutch fan,exhaust and now this. Top it off its leaking oil somwhere pretty bad cant fig where? When i bought the truck the dude gave me receipts he had for everything he done to truck. Front end work ,regular maintenance on trans and oil changes,used only synthetics. When i looked at truck no visible fluid leaks oil level was perfect didnt look pressure washed at all to try clean it up. It still runs pretty hot as well. Oh i forgot i replaced the wheel bearing as well.

I really like the truck idk whats going on with it with how well the guy took care of the truck

Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I wonder...... Block the front wheels, trans in neutral, (engine off) and drop the rear driveshaft. Pull the output housing off the t-case, and check the snap-ring that is supposed to hold things in place. They have a tendency to fall off, and the t-case then eats itself up.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Bipper Bip Bizzip

It is def the trans case. I could only find one in my area from a 2001 that was rolled but its a 231hd and mines a 231d. Would the hd one work in my truck? He only wants $80 for it

Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should work just fine. Be careful of driveshaft length though, as the hd case *might* be a tad longer.

Also, you want one out of a 98 or newer. Shift pattern changed in 98.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Bipper Bip Bizzip

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I wonder...... Block the front wheels, trans in neutral, (engine off) and drop the rear driveshaft. Pull the output housing off the t-case, and check the snap-ring that is supposed to hold things in place. They have a tendency to fall off, and the t-case then eats itself up.
Ok so i dropped drive shaft and took output housing off and found a round clip broke inside. Came in in two pieces. Is that what you were talking about? I uploaded pics to my albums. I tried uploading to thread but was not able to

Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Bipper Bip Bizzip

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should work just fine. Be careful of driveshaft length though, as the hd case *might* be a tad longer.

Also, you want one out of a 98 or newer. Shift pattern changed in 98.
Thanks for the help. That was the problem. I just hope when i get the output bearing shaft retainer and get it on there that it did not damage anything on inside.

Quick Reply: Grinding cant tell if its transfer case or trans or driveline