DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   hesitation and misfire (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/390527-hesitation-and-misfire.html)

rgviewer 10-24-2015 12:24 AM

Ordered a Mopar crank position sensor tonight. I just don't trust that other crank sensor I put in. Everything has only gotten worse after it was put in. I guess it may be true..You get what you pay for. Hopefully my luck will soon improve.

Snowfan 10-27-2015 03:26 PM

Any possibility your plug wires are not on the right plugs?

It does sound like your exhaust is plugged up. Unbolt like Moparite says and see how it runs. Is your intake plugged? Rats? Wasps?

Unplug your ecm and plug it back in if the exhaust does not help. Also, disconnect battery overnight to reset ecm.

These engines are SIMPLE. Stick with spark, fuel and air and you will find the problem.

rgviewer 10-28-2015 10:32 PM

I put in a new Mopar crank sensor on tonight and it had no improvement.

Then I put a torch to the front O2 sensor and was finally able to get it off. Started the truck and success I have power again (mostly). But it wouldn't idle on its own for a few minutes. I took the truck around the block and was able to drive for the first time in weeks. It did stall a couple of times but thinking that could be that it is still being restricted a little.

So I am pretty confident that my catalytic converter is plugged and that was my main problem. I still am going to change the plenum gasket as I am sure that is also part of my problem.

As far as the catalytic converter goes, would it be easier to try and gut it out or put in a straight pipe. I am a little confused on how to do either as there is a bend in the pipe right after the cat.

Thanks for all your help this far...

Snowfan 10-29-2015 12:04 AM

Cats DO NOT harm performance.

Easier to have a new Magnaflow welded in for 150 bucks. Smog ain't cool. At all.

You probably know it is illegal to disable your cat. Do it right and keep it legal.

HeyYou 10-29-2015 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Snowfan (Post 3269918)

Easier to have a new Magnaflow welded in for 150 bucks. Smog ain't cool. At all.

You probably know it is illegal to disable your cat. Do it right and keep it legal.

A clogged cat most certainly affects performance..... Not to mention that the design on the older trucks includes a pretty serious restriction where the two pipes enter the cat..... An aftermarket high-flow cat would solve a fair few issues here, but, need to address the reason the cat clogged in the first place, else, in a few months, OP will be right back in the same predicament.

rgviewer 10-29-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snowfan (Post 3269918)

I have no problem putting a new cat on my truck as long as it don't cost an arm and a leg. I ordered the plenum kit as I am sure that my plenum is in need of replacing. Just looking to keep this dodge on the road a while longer.

HeyYou 10-29-2015 02:12 PM

Look for the magnaflow high-flow cat. It is a direct replacement... should be able to find one for in the neighborhood of 250.00 or so.

In all reality, these trucks generally pass emissions testing even without a cat.....

Snowfan 10-29-2015 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3269948)
A clogged cat most certainly affects performance..... Not to mention that the design on the older trucks includes a pretty serious restriction where the two pipes enter the cat..... An aftermarket high-flow cat would solve a fair few issues here, but, need to address the reason the cat clogged in the first place, else, in a few months, OP will be right back in the same predicament.

Yes, of course.

Originally Posted by rgviewer (Post 3269974)
I have no problem putting a new cat on my truck as long as it don't cost an arm and a leg. I ordered the plenum kit as I am sure that my plenum is in need of replacing. Just looking to keep this dodge on the road a while longer.

After you find out why the cat failed consider a universal Magnaflow. You can get one online for 80 bucks plus install, or install it yourself. Your exhaust tone will deepen some and be a bit louder with a Magnaflow but your neighbors won't notice and you certainly will not lose any performance.

I had cat problems with a leaking valve stem seal. It was dumping 1 quart every thousand miles or less. It overheated my original cat which then disintegrated, clogging my muffler. If your plugs are dirty and you are using oil your valve stem seals might need refreshed along with your plenum plate seal.

rgviewer 10-29-2015 08:51 PM

Snowfan
I looked at the $80 cat you linked from Summit Racing but I have a question for you or someone else. My truck is a 98 and there are two 2" pipes that go directly into the cat, I am wondering if a muffler shop would be able to make the one you linked work. I am thinking I would have to get a different Catalytic Converter that has the two 2" pipe. I really appreciate your help and I would love to do it right but money is already tight.

HeyYou,
If I was to weld in a pipe in place of the cat, how would I weld the top of the new pipe. I imagine I would have to unbolt the two pipes off the manifold and remove everything and weld it off the truck? I have a mig welder but just trying to wrap my mind as to how others have done it:icon_snow:

I am so fortunate that there are people like yourselves that take the time to help us little guys that know a little bit, but want to do most of our own repairs. Thank you to all those that have helped

I am sorry this is turning into such a huge post.

Snowfan 10-29-2015 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rgviewer (Post 3270035)
Snowfan
I looked at the $80 cat you linked from Summit Racing but I have a question for you or someone else. My truck is a 98 and there are two 2" pipes that go directly into the cat, I am wondering if a muffler shop would be able to make the one you linked work. I am thinking I would have to get a different Catalytic Converter that has the two 2" pipe. I really appreciate your help and I would love to do it right but money is already tight.

HeyYou,
If I was to weld in a pipe in place of the cat, how would I weld the top of the new pipe. I imagine I would have to unbolt the two pipes off the manifold and remove everything and weld it off the truck? I have a mig welder but just trying to wrap my mind as to how others have done it:icon_snow:

I am so fortunate that there are people like yourselves that take the time to help us little guys that know a little bit, but want to do most of our own repairs. Thank you to all those that have helped

I am sorry this is turning into such a huge post.

Relax...most of us enjoy sharing our experience and knowledge to help a bro out. Combine all of it and form a plan. Keep options open. The main goal I have is to save money and help others save time and money. Nothing better than a quick, proper diagnosis and fast proficient repair.

The link I provided was not intended specifically for your truck. I should have mentioned that in my post. You will probably need to figure out inlet and outlet size, along with fitment for o2 or egr or whatever those pipes are you mentioned. I don't have those on mine, just an o2 bung.

In looking for a fit for you I see a Magnaflow 23285 system. I would not do that unless necessary. It is 275 on eBay. A 99067HM might work. 147 on eBay. Its difficult to know what you need without seeing your cat.

Can the cat be cut out, close to the cat and welded in without disturbing the egr pipes...looks like it to me on the web anyway.

You can tack it solid on the truck and weld it on the bench if needed.

There are exhaust forums, maybe here even. They can fine tune whatever info you need to do it economically and point you in the right direction.