DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   quick question about that big 36mm fan clutch nut (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/397164-quick-question-about-that-big-36mm-fan-clutch-nut.html)

marcpilot1 09-11-2016 12:48 PM

Thx Beeker. I just slapped a new one on this 5.9L. It came from az and had an 0-ring on it. Then I filled up the radiator with the garden hose and it's not leaking! Finally!!

And you're right, this tube was loose as crap as well! The o-ring was all dry rotted, broke in half. Useless. You really couldn't tell how bent out of shape this whole tubing/bracket thing was, not until holding it next to the new one. It was bad! And, that hole for the 14mm was all screwed up. It would've never worked!

Thanks for all the help y'all! Now it's all about flushing it, I think. And i'm done!
Just flush with that Prestone, yellow bottle of flush stuff for bout $2.00 from Wal-mart I assume. I think I saw a "how-to" last week on flushing it after the water pump/t-stat replacement. So, I'll look for that and hopefully It'll be on the road in a couple hours!

Gary-L 09-11-2016 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3309210)
Yes, the fan clutch loosens to the left when you're facing the truck. I didn't notice any reverse threads either. Worst part is actually finding a tool to take it off. Nobody sells it. Nobody rents it. You have to get one from a SnapOn truck or have a buddy with a shop. I used a real hack way of inserting bolts into the holes and using the big fork kit I rented from Autozone. To get it tight, my Dad used an old belt and visegrip to hold it while I tightened with the largest crescent wrench I could find. Sucks not having the right tools.

I just did water pump, t-stat, all hoses, seals, oil pump, rear main, and timing chain set this summer. Complete overhaul of everything but internals. There's a lot to do for this job and you'll benefit from helpers, a garage, big tools, extra vehicle to run for parts, etc. I did it with my Dad at his house and he's a trucker with lots of nice big old tools and a ton of knowledge from working on Petes for over 40 years. I used all napa parts including Cloyes gears and chain from napa. Napa water pump replaced my old napa pump that had over 100k and still spun fine. I had no leaks. Everything was a R & R based on mileage. Napa stocks good brands like the Stant 180 stat as well.

Overall, it was a huge job, one that I hope to never do again. Especially for a shade tree mechanic. Hope you have enough knowledge and tools to tackle it. If you need some help, just ask. I usually check this forum once a day. Happy repairs!

Back when I needed to deal with this issue on both my 97 Ram and a Crown Victoria, I rented the tool from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Chris Frazier 12-28-2018 01:33 PM

It’s called a reverse nut because !!!!!

It’s called a reverse nut because it turns the opposite way of the engine!!! So when the motor turns it never loosens the fan clutch only tightens it !!!!!

Originally Posted by marcpilot1 (Post 3309200)
98 Ram, 1500, 5.9L, 248K, gas-

Originally Posted by marcpilot1 (Post 3309200)
Hi you guys, gals. I got a question that's been answered a hundred times already. But I cant get the actual picture it in my head!
It's that fan clutch nut. I understand that it's threaded, like, reverse threads, or backwards so to speak maybe? You all prob just call it "reverse threads" or something like that maybe.
To me, that would mean lefty "tighty", instead of "lefty looseie". Is that correct, maybe? Or is that my 1st mistake trying to picture it? And would "righty tighty" then be changed to rightie loosie?

So, as you can already see, I'm confused! Seems I'd be turning that big ol' 36mm nut to pthe "RIGHT" to loosen it, you know, the reverse from the usual way. Also it seems like I'd go back to the left to tighten it, if you were standing in front of the truck.
That's the picture I'm getting my head! It's clearly not, "CLEAR", up there(and don't recommend anyone going up there, ever, just a big ol mess in there!)

So, see what I'm thinking?
But the problem I got is this, NO ONE is turning it to the right to loosen it that I can tell or see! It seems to me that everyone that knows what they're doing is actually turning it to the left to loosen the 36mm nut at fan clutch! So if thats actually the case, why do they call it "reverse threads"? I know theres a reason, I just cant picture it! It s*#*s for me!

Anyway, appreciate any explanations. Oh, and thats just 1 question I got about getting this fan clutch off. But I'm researching the posts pretty hard so as to not bother y'all to terribly much! I'm actually doing the whole water pump replacement. Like with the thermostat, the little bypass hose and possibly the metal pipe thing. Someone also told me to do the timing chain. Guess I'll inspect that when I'm in there a little deeper. Not to sure how to know if that needs replacing! It runs ex, just leaking steady from under there where the water pump is so I thought I'd start there.
Man, I appreciate any guidance here, a lot! Now that its 2016, theres things that may be a little different now, like what water pump is best now and other possible gasket tricks and tips, etc, etc!
Again, Thanks for any help I can get!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...80c27a43ee.jpg

I just bought it 3 months ago, really hoping to get it right!