2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any idea what gears it has in it? Might consider going with like a 3" lift, going to 33" tires, and being a little easier on the trans, with what is likely 3.55 gears.
no idea yet. we have been being pummeled with bitter cold, snow and ice since i bought it... that's in the valley... i don't even want to know what it's like at my brothers place up on the mountain.

i almost wrecked and got stuck till i could get chains on just getting the pictures i posted lol. i'm in vancouver and he's up by the washougal moto cross.

it didn't look like there was an axle tag in the pictures, but the short time i drove it, it felt deeper than 3.55. did not feel bogged at all. which really surprised me, most just throw big tires on then whine cause they don't have any power or they broke something.

i had considered just putting it back to stock'ish height and doing 33's... these were not lowrider 4x4's from the factory, so a lift is not as imperative as it would be with a silverado or f150 of the same era. or at least thats what my brain is trying to tell me lol.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You could probably get away with 33's at stock height, if you didn't offroad much. But, flex that suspension some, and you likely would get some contact..... Never really a good scene.

You are going to be in your diffs anyway, so, verify the gears when you are. (and make sure front and rear ratios are the same. )

Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM
brian102
Professional

You could probably get away with 33's at stock height, if you didn't offroad much. But, flex that suspension some, and you likely would get some contact..... Never really a good scene.

You are going to be in your diffs anyway, so, verify the gears when you are. (and make sure front and rear ratios are the same. )
i should be fine at stock then, i just stick to the fire roads, maybe some mud\snow. i don't really have rockcrawler money or time.

had a wrangler that would do that stuff, but never really had time to enjoy it, or the friends with the kind of rigs it would take to get me out if i got stuck lol. though, even if i built this ram to the max i would never take it to the places i got that jeep in.

we're supposed to thaw out last time i checked, so hopefully next weekend i can get up there and start getting some hard info out of it.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try it, and see what happens. Worst case, you need to bump it up a bit. At least you will know you have a suspension that will hang on to the truck while you are driving it.....

Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM
brian102
Professional

Try it, and see what happens. Worst case, you need to bump it up a bit. At least you will know you have a suspension that will hang on to the truck while you are driving it.....
exactly, what am i gonna do? break it? lol

Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by brian102
exactly, what am i gonna do? break it? lol
Break it? Oh hell no. You would never do that.........

Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At stock height with 33" x 11" tires:
If they're the stock swirly rims then they'll rub the control arms at full lock.
If they poke out a little like the off road rims then they'll rub the plastic on the back of the fender at 3/4 of a turn.
If they're not stock rims then I know of one way to find out if they'll rub...

A 3" lift with 33" tires and 4.10 gears is the best combo on these trucks as far as having on road manners and being capable off road as well.
A 5-6" lift and 35" tires (with 4.56 gears) looks perfect on these trucks but those tires ain't cheap and the big knobbys wear out a lot faster.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian 102...

I'm just outside of Portland, if you need a shop to park/work in.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 AM
brian102
Professional

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
At stock height with 33" x 11" tires:
If they're the stock swirly rims then they'll rub the control arms at full lock.
If they poke out a little like the off road rims then they'll rub the plastic on the back of the fender at 3/4 of a turn.
If they're not stock rims then I know of one way to find out if they'll rub...

A 3" lift with 33" tires and 4.10 gears is the best combo on these trucks as far as having on road manners and being capable off road as well.
A 5-6" lift and 35" tires (with 4.56 gears) looks perfect on these trucks but those tires ain't cheap and the big knobbys wear out a lot faster.
that answers alot of questions i was probly about to ask, thank you. gotta admit i love the look of the 35's on it, but the practical side of me is leaning toward taking her down a notch to 33's.

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Brian 102...

I'm just outside of Portland, if you need a shop to park/work in.
i very much appreciate the offer, thank you... i may take you up on that if she wont clear my garage, lol...

Old 01-29-2017, 11:27 PM
brian102
Professional

if a fuel injected engine only has an O2 sensor before and after the cat only, how the hell does it know if 1 of the banks are running lean? knock sensor? i have 2 codes, bank 1 running lean and #2 injector open circut... the injector code is new and it would cause a lean condition... just trying to understand how it would know a bank is lean if the sensors are only on the cat and not each manifold like most rigs. knock sensor is the only other way i can think.