2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel sync question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a fuel guage up to the windshield. Pressure remained 50 the entire time, even when pedal to floor while driving.

I found someone with a snap-on. We did plug the snap-on tool up first to check a few things. There was an option "set the sync to zero", and when we did, the engine sound smoothed out a bit. But it reverted back to "12" whatever that means.

So, we are going to go through the process from to to bottom and then plug the snap-on tool again. The directions say, "Most cams that we run in the shop, we set six to eight degrees positive." ---Is that done with the snap-on?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Nope, that's done with the grind. The cam has advance 'built in".... so, set your timing set to 0, and that's it.

The scanner won't actually set fuel sync, it can really only read what it actually is. It's a mechanical property, and can be adjusted simply by turning the distributor a little bit. Just watch what the value is, and adjust the dist to get it to zero, and stay there.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nope, that's done with the grind. The cam has advance 'built in".... so, set your timing set to 0, and that's it.

The scanner won't actually set fuel sync, it can really only read what it actually is. It's a mechanical property, and can be adjusted simply by turning the distributor a little bit. Just watch what the value is, and adjust the dist to get it to zero, and stay there.
That makes sense. But what does it mean when it says, "The last thing to do is set the sync between the crank shaft sensor and camshaft sensors....Using a cscan tool such as snap-on.

I remember my old superchips tuner had a setting that sounded like this. I could go up to -3 or +3. Should I leave this part for the tuning with the SCT Tuner?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I really don't see how a scanner can do much with it, unless it is installing some flavor of 'correction factor'. Fuel sync is a mechanical setting. You are adjusting when a hall effect switch changes state thru a purely mechanical setup. You can put in a 'fudge factor' via software, but, programming won't change the physical relationship.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:06 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also make sure the engine is fully warmed up when setting fuel sync.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:38 PM
nicraage
Professional

I really don't see how a scanner can do much with it, unless it is installing some flavor of 'correction factor'. Fuel sync is a mechanical setting. You are adjusting when a hall effect switch changes state thru a purely mechanical setup. You can put in a 'fudge factor' via software, but, programming won't change the physical relationship.

Ok, so we just set everything to zero. It is still running the same. The distributor was a few degrees off.

What is the purpose of putting the snap on on? Are we supposed to make adjustments based on the number it puts out? For instance, if it says +12, does that mean we are 12 degrees too high?

Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That is exactly what it means.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 PM
nicraage
Professional

That is exactly what it means.
ok, this is big for me, lol. So we want the snap on to eventually say zero, right?

Old 03-05-2017, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, or as close as you can get it.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:54 AM
nicraage
Professional

Ok, we've got it to jump between -1 and Zero. Runs a bit better, but still don't have the pickup I'm looking for. Tuner says my wide band O2 sensor should read 11-12 when I mash the peddle, but it still reads about 15, which is the same as half throttle.
Could this be a weight issue? I have 4:56 gears, with 37" tires, but I have a lot of steel on this truck.
Will weight keep my engine bogged down a bit?