2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 RAM 1500 5.2L Magnum - "Ticking/Tapping" sound while idle?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Dustin24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped the truck off at a buddies house today. He's going to let me know the overall damage (aka repair, and if the gasket kit will be enough). Should be hearing from him tomorrow or in a few days when I drop off the gasket kit if he gets to it tomorrow.

But thanks for the extra bit of info, makes me feel a bit more optimistic! Will give the Mystic oil a go this time around once we're back up to speed.

As far as I can see the Intake manifold bolts aren't TTY... But if they do end up needing/recommended replaced, I will definitely do so. Trying to do it once, not all the time, haha!

Last edited by Dustin24; 03-22-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good investment for locating an engine noise is a mechanics stethoscope, they're $3 at Harbor Freight and $10 at Advance Auto.

I had a tick that I thought was lifter tick but turned out to be an exhaust leak on a header and the flange between the header and the y-pipe was loose so it wasn't sealed.

Seafoam the intake and it'll let you know if you have an exhaust leak along with cleaning out the intake, valves and the tops of the cylinders at the same time.

To Seafoam it you need a half a can of Seafoam and a bendy straw.
Start the truck then pull the brake booster hose off then immediately plug it with your thumb.
Put the bendy straw in the can of Seafoam and let your thumb up from the hose enough to allow the hose to suck about half the can of Seafoam through the straw.
As soon half the can is in the intake then plug the hose back into the brake booster and shut the truck off.
After 15 minutes you'll start the truck and enjoy the smoke show (do it outside). The smoke will reveal any exhaust leaks, pay attention from the exhaust manifolds down to the catalytic converter and look fast because it won't be billowing smoke for long.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Dustin24

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone by chance have the SHORTER bolt size needed for the Plenum itself? I may end up just purchasing the Aluminum plate but I was wondering in case I decide to go with the shorter bolt solution with the steel OEM plate..

Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Dustin24

Got the truck back home today, gaskets looked good. However, had a bad radiator cap, and that thermostat I put in went bad. No gaskets replaced, all is well on that front. Haven't had milky oil in over a week? Said it may have been from the gunk cleaner I ran in before my last oil change.

Threw on a new 195* thermostat(no more 180*), new radiator cap, and coolant. However, I believe my sending unit is either toast or about to shoot craps because I noticed my oil light came on while in Park. Went away when I put the truck in gear, and my oil pressure gauge bottoms out and the light comes on when it's in Park. Gauge goes all wonky from 0-first line, and 40 between gears. Going to replace that tomorrow.. Lol..

Search this Thread