2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Decent heads and cam for 5.9 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent heads and cam for 5.9 rebuild?

Hey so I am trying to get as much info on the rebuild for my 5.9 before I pull the trigger on it in the spring. I have been told the stroker is the way to go but that unless I'm ready to dump a ton into it, the build will be crap. Others have said to just rebuild the stock block with a good set of heads, intake ,TB and cam. So that is what I am looking into now.

I did a mild set of heads and cam on my 5.7 Hemi and it was great. Can someone guide me in the direction of a decent set of ready to go heads and cam set up? I'm not looking into making a massive amount of power just a nice bump with the reliability that I have had with the stock set up. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

EQ Monster Magnum Heads.

Hughes Air Gap.

Cam. (or similar)

Headers.

50mm Throttle body.

High Flow Cat.

Some really good plugs/wires/cap/rotor, and it will be more torquey in the lower rpm range, OUTSTANDING mid-range, and even still have some power in the higher RPM range. Get a torque converter that matches the engine power band, (along with the trans rebuild) and you will be a happy camper.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
EQ Monster Magnum Heads.

Hughes Air Gap.

Cam. (or similar)

Headers.

50mm Throttle body.

High Flow Cat.

Some really good plugs/wires/cap/rotor, and it will be more torquey in the lower rpm range, OUTSTANDING mid-range, and even still have some power in the higher RPM range. Get a torque converter that matches the engine power band, (along with the trans rebuild) and you will be a happy camper.
Thanks man! I'm liking this setup. I already have the headers and highflow cat so that makes it easier to get setup.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Only thing I'll mention is to be sure to obtain a cam that works with hydraulic roller lifters. The cam listed is a flat tappet cam.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Only thing I'll mention is to be sure to obtain a cam that works with hydraulic roller lifters. The cam listed is a flat tappet cam.
DOH!!!!!

Thank you for pointing that out, I missed that trick. Summit doesn't appear to have much of a selection... and they are EXPENSIVE.......

Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Might want to check out Bullet Cams. They can grind whatever you want and they also do regrinds on your existing core. Also, checkout Hughes Engines for cams, too. Be sure to stay with a hydraulic roller cam and ensure that the replacement cam is computer friendly, unless you are planning to deal with obtaining a tuner device and custom engine tunes.

Another option for heads are Edelbrock Magnum heads. They are aluminum. They are a bit more expensive than the EQs.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Thanks guys for the advice and help with this. This is what I love about the forums. They helped me build my Magnum a decade ago. I appreciate it!

Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

We are always happy to help spend your money.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would go with a 52mm or the hughes big gulp for a motor with a decent cam. I have a 52mm on my truck and the only other mods are cat back exhaust and an hughes airgap. Definitely not disappointed with the 52mm.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never mind...