2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quality Headlight Replacements??

Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality Headlight Replacements??

I'm in the market for a set of replacement OEM style headlights for an 01 Sport model, I've seen a few decent ones but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience or recommendations to make!! Would like to find a pair made with polycarbonate as opposed to a basic plastic, for durability reasons.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

am-autoparts.com has the stock replacements.... 10 year warranty.... Don't think the materials are any better than stock though.....

Old 01-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Hell with that kind of warranty, I'd be fine with exact stock replacements!
AND that's a really fair price, especially for the sports ��

Old 01-28-2016, 10:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I bought my headlights from them, and they were exactly like the stockers, except, they weren't broke like my stockers, or so yellowed you couldn't tell when they were on. I have had 'em in there for a few years now, and I am quite happy with the quality of the pieces. They even have the stock adjusting screws.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 AM
bargeman
Professional

I would like to find a set of lights that ressemble stock with the yellow turn but with a clear headlight lens and be of a one piece design. Do they make such an animal?
Answered my own question ... read it in the non tech section ..... LMC harness and some good bulbs should do it.Now, Whats a good bulb to use?

Last edited by bargeman; 01-29-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Felt like it....
Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 PM
webhead68
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
am-autoparts.com has the stock replacements.... 10 year warranty.... Don't think the materials are any better than stock though.....
This says its for the Sport model.

Can you tell me the difference between the Sport and regular? I'm pretty sure mine is a Sport due to the sticker on the bed (says Sport) and the trim package. But what's the difference in headlights? I was going to go with some sweet looking aftermarket ones but now I'm not sure.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On your truck, there is zero difference between sport, and non-sport headlights. Now, on the 98 and up trucks, the Sport package included dual bulb headlamps. (two on each side, as opposed to the two total that you have.) Now, most vendors I have seen don't differentiate between a 97 and older, or a 98 and newer sport truck... So, if it says it fits your 96 Sport, chances are real good, that it does not.

They DO offer headlamps that are single bulb, I know, I bought a pair. They are on my truck, and have been for several years. I like 'em. (far superior to the ugly, yellowed fellers that were on there.)

Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bargeman
Now, Whats a good bulb to use?
There's really no such thing as a really good 9004, but if you don't mind the short lifespan, the GE Nighthawk Platinum is among the best of the lot. If you don't mind buying them on eBay or other random places when they're on sale, the cost isn't so bad.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another headlight upgrade is to re-wire them with relays. The headlight mod. And then I used the nighthawks.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Another headlight upgrade is to re-wire them with relays.
Huge agreement!

Everyone looking to get better light output should do that first. There's almost no point to upgrading lamps and/or headlights without a relay kit, either fabricated or purchased, to provide the lamps with the current they require to burn properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quality Headlight Replacements??