2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM
lam71nova
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

This is my first post so please bear with me as this will be long. First of all this is a great site and has some exceptional information on it. Now this is what happened. I own a 2002 dakota 4WD 4.7L extended cab. Last sunday I came out from christmas shopping, hit my remote unlock and nothing happened. Unlocked the doors manually (that sucks) and got in to find that my service 4WD light was on. I get home and start pulling fuses but to no avail. Had to do some family stuff, come home and go to lock the truck and find that the interior lights, headlights, parking lights, intermittent wipers, nothing worked. So I get on the computer and start searching. I found some website saying that the automatic door locks are sometimes connected to a CTM or DMT. Search this and find dodge forums link, https://dodgeforum.com/m_320311/tm.htmthis points me to believe that the CTM or center timer module may be at fault. I call the dealer on Monday and drop the truck off on tuesday AM and explain all the symptoms and so on. They call me later that day and say it is the PDC or power distribution center which will cost me $2502 to fix. Yes that figure is correct. The PDC is the large fuse box under the hood that controls the entire truck and comes only with the complete wiring harness and costs $1400 for the part alone. Well needless to say I did not have them do this. I went and bought a Haynes Service Manual and started reading. After looking at the wiring diagrams the problem seemed clear. It was the CTM. I also need to thank user CNIII on this site as he had nearly the same problem in the link above and replied to my email with great information.My brother and I picked the truck up on Thursday, went home, and within 15 minutes knew it couldn't be the PDC because there was power to the headlamp switch and the other items. After about an hour of probing, testing and retesting we came to the conclusion that it had to be the CTM. We decided to take a run to Collis Trucks (Allentown, Pa) andsee if they had a used module.They had one from a 2001 dakota 4.7L. $50 took it home with a handshake and guarantee that if it did not work I would get my money back. Got home, plugged in the 3 proms and voila everything worked again with the exception of the key fob which needs to be programmed to this module by a dealer. So a problem that would have cost me $2500 dollars at SCOTT Chrysler and not evenfix the problem really cost me $70 ($50 part, $20 service manual) and some time. Needless to say I will never take another vehicle back there again.

I am posting this so someone with the same symptoms will know where to look. Now be careful anytime you deal with electrical items on new vehicles be careful to disconnect the battery and avoid electrical charges or static. In my case It was this or throw a boat load of money down the drain, so we took our chances. It would be great to help prevent any similar horror stories. Be careful when using the service department at SCOTT Chrysler in Allentown, Pa.

dakota power door lock problems
dakota flickering headlights
dakota CTM problems

The following 3 users liked this post by lam71nova:
Brendan Howell (09-03-2020), DMeade002 (09-06-2020), mikejewett (08-23-2020)
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

gladto hear it was a cheap fix.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Radman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 4x4 4.7 Sport's CTM went nuts on me once but not as bad
as yours did.. My dome lights would not shut off. I ended up
disconnecting the battery (same as resetting the CPU) twice before
the problem *fixed* itself...

As far as dealerships (better known as Stealerships) go, you can't trust
a one anymore.. Just too bad a few of them give ALL of them a bad
name.

By the way, if that STUPID chime system drives any of you guys nuts
like it did me, remove the CTM, open it up and cut one foil trace to
the little chime in the center of the CTM. You still get all the warnings
displayed in the dash too. It can easily be soldered (bridged) back
together again if you ever want the chimes back.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Thank you for the write-up on this! Glad to hear you solved your problem cheap! Happy Holidays and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM
PtownBubba

I am dealing with the same sort of thing with my 2002 Durango,,,, dome lights flash like a turn signal,,,, no headlights, or tail lights, ordash lights,, the left front headlight stays on,,, but even that flickers constanly,,, I was told that a "junk-yard module will not work, as the modules are vehicle specific,, as far as alarm codes and stuff. The guy made it sound like each module is set for each vehicle and can not be swapped ??????????

We did call a dealer, he said it could be the CTM,,, but bring it so they could test it with a code reader, to see what errors are there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,, geez,,,, given the description of yours and mine,,, and some others I have read,,,,,,,,,,, at 80 + bucks an hour at a Dodge Shop,,, plus testing fee,,,, plus new module,,,,, probably 5 to 600 dollar fix,,,,,,, junk yard module less than $100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmm,, should I roll the dice and try the junk yard module ???????

Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

The member said that he got it from a different truck and it worked. I would save some money and see if it works. Also, the dealer will say anything to get you in there to spend your money. You might have to reprogram your remote entry keys, but I doubt it.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
PtownBubba

yeah,,, weird,,,, on one hand, I can see reasons why you could not swap modules from one vehicle to another, yet again, if the vehicles are the same,,,,you would think it is like any engine or body part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crazy.

If we find a module from a wrecked Durango,,,,,,I wonder if the module will bring the error codes/messages from that vehicle to mine ?????? Wll it read an error or like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Remove tree from engine compartment ????

Or, if it has be disconnected a while,, will it forget all it had ?????????????? Don't realy care if a check engine light comes on,,,, that is an easy fix, and probably not to costly even if the Dodge Boys have to reset he errors.

I wonder if this is a Dodge thing, or I suppose Ford and GM have their weird ideas too. My local mechanic said we may road trip Thursday to some junk yards, looking for a dead Durango SLT. We were thinking that "any" Durango module would work,,,, that is the same style. Mine is not so fancy,,, does not have the gizmo, electronic panel on the inside roof between passenger and driver. Has panic/ horn alarm, but no security system. We have an aftermarket remote start system, that still works ok,,, and the remote start key chain controller would lock and unock the doors fine. The Dodge key chain controller quit locking and unlocking the doors a year or more ago [ perhaps the beginning of the slow death of the module],,, so we just quit using those.

Great sight here,,,, thank for the tips and hints....

Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
rgrsinclair
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!

I removed My Malfunctioning 2002 Dodge Durango CTM unit from the Drivers side Kick Panel, and removed the unit from it's case...Inspected it thoroughly, and found green corrosion on some of the chip-set terminals.
I mixed a small amount of Baking soda, and water...w/small med bristle brus, proceeded to clean the corroded terminals, rinsing in the same manner, making sure to blow dry w clean compressed air to dry.

I then replaced the unit back in it's case, installed it back where it came from, plugged the connections back in to the proper sockets, and Hallelujah.....

Head lamps dash/dome/tail lamps, Door locks, key less entry, The whole 9 yards.

So before you give up on the CTM unit give it a thorough inspection and see if that might just be your problem.

Or you can just spend big bucks on a new one, and labor to boot :-)

Roger Sinclair
Houston TX.

The following users liked this post:
Krismiller4 (08-27-2020)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you for letting us know you solved the problem. I can also tell you the problem with dealerships. Dealers are letting the old timers go and hire young kids for less money. An old timer would have told you the CTM was bad. CTM 250.00 plus labor and you would have be happy, but the young kids have no ideal and no trainning and that cause's problems with customer and dealers. If you ever go back to a dealer, ask for a shopforeman or someone with 25+ years in the trade.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
jet tech
Question 99 DAKOTA R/T right headlight is dim all the time

replaced it with a new one when the old one got damaged, not THAT NEW ONE STAYS dim and even though all the lights are working , I GET THAT STUPID 10 TIMES FASTER TURN SIGNAL BLINK LIKE ONE BULB IS OUT BUT NONE ARE.

I'm suspecting the CTM on mine as well . I've un wrapped the looming looking for any issue and looked over the tail light wiring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge