2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ran SST computer problems

Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
whadoiknow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Ran SST computer problems

My 97 Dodge Ram SST stalled on me 80 miles from home. After getting it home I hooked up my $100 code reader and only get it to read Error, It would crank but no fire and w/144k miles assumed it was fuel pump, but it still would crank and no power to the pump. I finally got #1 mechanic (so he says) to haul to his place 2 blks. away. After 3 days of working on it he said it 'might' be computer and pointed me to #2 mechanic 'great on electrical. #1 had pulled out the alarm, which I never used as I had not gotten remote when I bought truck in 2000, replaced ign. switch, and put new crank, dist. sensors in. He had to pull ign. switch andf put old one back. #2 mech. did'nt know what it was and I told him I will order new comp. After I ordered it he called and said NOT to use vin # to order but old # on old comp. Even I knew he was wrong so I had truck hauled home, he had taken relays apart? andwires unhooked. Did'nt know what damage they had done so had to take to Dodge to put on machine. What I would like to know is: will there be power to the sensors if comp. is bad.? Is there someway I can tell comp. is bad w/o replacing. I need to see if #1 and 2 are just replacing parts or is there something they could have done to see if comp. was the problem.?? Thanks, (Old Shade tree mechanic used to working on the 68 GTX)

Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Welcome to DF!

PCM has far too many failure modes to count...... You may or may not get power at the sensors. Does the Odometer show "No Bus" with the ignition on?

Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Try the key dance to see if you get any codes.

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 PM
whadoiknow

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Welcome to DF!

PCM has far too many failure modes to count...... You may or may not get power at the sensors. Does the Odometer show "No Bus" with the ignition on?
Everything on odometer was normal, no check engine light on or anything different. I have the Chilton book and checked out asd and all relays. They all checked out good. #1 mechanics 4k reader could'nt detetect any problem so he replaced crank & cam sensors. Dodge would'nt let me talk to their mechanic but said all they could do was hook it up to their diagnostic machine for $93 so I had to do that. I had the new comp. inside truck in case and luckily that was it. I was just checking to see if there was something else to let me know comp. was bad to save on replacing several parts first. I did learn alot on the many forums I read and found out I'm better off trying to fix it myself than listen to the 'Ace' mechanics around here'. I bought a good elec tester so was wondering what else I could have checked after the relays. Thanks

Old 04-22-2017, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmm.... Did they mention what in the PCM failed? Generally, if all the gauges and such, (odometer) work, the PCM is doing it's job......

Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
whadoiknow
Cool

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhmmm.... Did they mention what in the PCM failed? Generally, if all the gauges and such, (odometer) work, the PCM is doing it's job......
No they did'nt say what failed and I sent in for core on new one. A place in Florida burned one, said it had all updates and life warranty. That's what threw off #1 and #2, No lights on odom. yet no power to fuel or spark. I know ign. switch was a problem in 70s and 80s but #1 tried a new one but still no power to pump or spark. I don't know if he replaced sensors after testing them or was just pullin' parts. I did'nt know what #1 or 2 had done as sensors were unhooked when I had it pulled from # 2 and covers were of relays. Even I knew how to check relays from the Chilton. The crank sensor wire was run in the front of dist. so would'nt even plug in, has to run behind dist. I guess I'll never know what happened but from now on if I, and goggle, can't figure it out I'll have it hauled to Dodge. I was w/o truck for 6 weeks while all this b/s went on so it really sucked.. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by whadoiknow
No they did'nt say what failed and I sent in for core on new one. A place in Florida burned one, said it had all updates and life warranty. That's what threw off #1 and #2, No lights on odom. yet no power to fuel or spark. I know ign. switch was a problem in 70s and 80s but #1 tried a new one but still no power to pump or spark. I don't know if he replaced sensors after testing them or was just pullin' parts. I did'nt know what #1 or 2 had done as sensors were unhooked when I had it pulled from # 2 and covers were of relays. Even I knew how to check relays from the Chilton. The crank sensor wire was run in the front of dist. so would'nt even plug in, has to run behind dist. I guess I'll never know what happened but from now on if I, and goggle, can't figure it out I'll have it hauled to Dodge. I was w/o truck for 6 weeks while all this b/s went on so it really sucked.. Thanks for the help.
Thanks for that.

And yup, if you ever need further assistance with your truck, we will be here.

Search this Thread