2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Budget Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Really? I don't need to get a new pcm? The SCT can write on TOP of the previous tuning? I was always under the impression that I needed my old handheld to unload back to stock to use anything else, which I no longer have.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Really? I don't need to get a new pcm? The SCT can write on TOP of the previous tuning? I was always under the impression that I needed my old handheld to unload back to stock to use anything else, which I no longer have.
It's likely the SCT will simply save the current tune on your PCM as the "stock" tune... So, if at some point, you want to revert to stock, that's the tune it will put back on.

For the most part, the tuner itself is locked to a specific vehicle, and don't think they really care where the particular tune they are overwriting actually came from.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Dang! Good to know!

Now, to find that spare $400 smackers!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Appreciate the opinion Heyyou but I would still like to hear it from Hemifever before plunking that much money on another tuner.

So what happened to flyin Ryan? He was the one everyone recommended I thought. No direspect, Hemi.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

He still seems to offer canned tunes on his site..... Customing tuning is an 'in person' deal though.... So, likely not inexpensive.... (air fare, hotel, dyno time, etc.)

You could contact either/both of them via their websites I should think. They both offer contact info. (and hearing it directly from the horses mouth would be great.)

Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Ramman18
Champion

It just dawned on me that this will never work.

If the Hemifever tune replaces my Hypertech one, thinking that it's just the OEM tune, then I will still lose my tire size tune. No point then.

And really, for $400, it should allow for adjusting tire size, right?

Guess I'm married to the deathflash forever. poop.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:17 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Hemifever tune replaces my Hypertech one, thinking that it's just the OEM tune, then I will still lose my tire size tune. No point then.

read post #10 i think the tire size will not be overwritten..

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hopefully Hemifever will correct me if I'm wrong.
SCT Doesn't completely remove the stock tune, it only writes over what it needs too on certain parameters. When it saves the stock tune, it is just giving itself a restore point... Kind of like Windows if you load a corrupt file.

As others have said, talk with the tuners to help you figure it out.
Hemifever: http://www.hemifever.com
Flyin' Ryan: http://www.frptuning.com

Old 05-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

As HeyYou stated your tire size change will stay. But as has been said contact the vendors and ask the horses mouth. You'll be happy you did if you decide to spring for one of the tuners.

I guess I should explain a little more about Flyin Ryan not tuning 2nd Gen trucks anymore. Yes he still does can tunes but unless you bring the truck to him or he comes to visit you he no longer does custom tunes. Now to get him to come to you it isn't just on you alone. You want to get with a local car club or such and have a dyno day where he comes and tunes a group of rigs.

Hemifever is just as qualified to do custom or can tunes as Ryan. Each person has their reasons for choosing who tunes their rig. Just be willing to spend some coin because as I said before "You Get What You Pay For" .