2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power Need Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Randyn Collins
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power Need Help ASAP!!

Hi I just bought a 96 dodge ram 1500.. It has the 318 magnum v8 in it with a 5 speed manual. The previous owner converted the truck from auto to standard. My problem now is there isn't power. It bogs down won't accelerate fast and backfires like crazy. Here's everything I've checked so far. Fuel pressure is staying above 40 psi all the time. All plugs and wires are firing. Distributor cap button and rotor all look good and clean. The timing cover hasn't been off so I don't think actual timing is out. Did find a bad TPS and Crankshaft postitin sensor. Both were replaced. I removed all injectors and cleaned which helped out a lot bit still feels like I'm driving my old s10. Has true duals all the way from manifolds. All spark plugs are gapped at .45 which is way away from the recommended. 35 under the hood. Could that be my problem thanks. Ps. Truck takes about 6 to 7 seconds to hit 4000 rpm in nuetral. And also going up a hill sometimes will improve performance... The truck sat on empty for a good 3 to 4 months before I bought it.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moved to the correct section. Checked the catalytic converter for clogging? Checked the plenum?

Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

It has true duals.. No cat anymore and I have pulled the throttle body off cleaned it and looked down into the i take and it looks really clean. If the plenum gasket was bad wouldn't there be oil everywhere that's how my dad's truck with the 5.9 was. And it also doesn't smoke or burn oil. Thanks. A little extra info. It idles fine and going down the road barely touching the pedal it sounds just fine but as soon as more gas is applied it runs like complete crap.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Do you have the capability to data log?

That could be a bad TPS, (yes, I know, its new. That doesn't mean anything. ) failing map sensor, crank sensor, etc. What brand crank sensor did you get? These trucks don't always get along well with aftermarket sensors.......

Also need to be able to see what fuel pressure is doing while driving down the road. It may just not be able to pump enough volume to feed the motor.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Unfortunately no I can't data log. I do have a scanner but not a high dollar one. The Crankshaft position sensor is a duralast it was like $65 at autozone. Could a clogged fuel filter still show good fuel pressure. Haven't dropped the tank I figured since it's plastic there shouldn't be rust in there like the old metal tanks. Also once the truck is warmed up you can rev it to like 3 grand or higher but when you take off it almost stalls no matter what you do. After the injectors were cleaned I finally made it into 5yh gear....

Thanks for all the quick reply. Hopefully someone's had this problem begore.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try this: Disconnect the front O2 sensor. Go for a drive. Does it run better?

Duralast crank sensor? That may still be a contributing factor..... I've seen too many folks have issues with the aftermarket sensors..... Me included.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

There are no o2 sensors. Who ever Put the pipes on didn't weld bungs on to attach o2s. I can't even find the wires for them.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyn Collins
There are no o2 sensors. Who ever Put the pipes on didn't weld bungs on to attach o2s. I can't even find the wires for them.
That's at least part of the problem.....

Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Randyn Collins
Hhhmmm.... That's not actually a good thing. You WANT the front O2 sensor, at the very least. Is your check engine lite on constantly, whining about the lack of O2 sensors??? The connector for the front O2 sensor, is on top of the trans. Yeah, fun to get to. See if there is anything plugged into it. If there is, unplug it, and see if the truck runs better.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

So quick update. After work I went out and pulled all spark plugs again. Found that 3 of them I somehow missed or forgot to gap. Those 3 were sitting at 0.050 and then 0.055. Cleaned and re gapped all 8 to 0.035 as recommended and double checked put them back in and she fired right up. Revs up super quick, sounds good and didn't backfire at all. It stumbled for the first minute but then quite and hasn't came back. Probably buy some nice Bosh plugs on payday. Anyone run Autolites in there vehicles?? I've heard there cheap and junky but that's what's in there now. Thanks.