2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac slowly blowing through floors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac slowly blowing through floors

My ac blows through the vents, but no matter what setting I use it is constantly blowing lightly through the floor and defrost. I did a post awhile back about vacuum leak under the dash which I cannot find I have checked everything. When I accelerate I get a air sucking sound coming from the passenger side windshield area. I’ve checked that canister which looks like it’s operating fine, I cut vacuum lines behind the dash and rerouted them hoping it would get rid of the noise but it didn’t. So lately I noticed that my ac is constantly blowing through the floor and defrosters. I see the other canister by the gas petal which seems to be operating. Where is the canister that would open and close vents? I have been chasing this sound coming from behind the dash for 6 months now with no luck. I’m aiming towards it being the canister that operates the doors.

Also I had a piece of plastic stuck in my blower motor I dropped it down to remove it and there is a hose leading do it that pumps out air, it wasn’t connected so I connected it the best I could kind of short the hose and I didn’t notice any difference. I’m at a loss with this noise!!! It’s some kind of vacuum leak

this is the old post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...hind-dash.html

Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
My ac blows through the vents, but no matter what setting I use it is constantly blowing lightly through the floor and defrost. I did a post awhile back about vacuum leak under the dash which I cannot find I have checked everything. When I accelerate I get a air sucking sound coming from the passenger side windshield area. I’ve checked that canister which looks like it’s operating fine, I cut vacuum lines behind the dash and rerouted them hoping it would get rid of the noise but it didn’t. So lately I noticed that my ac is constantly blowing through the floor and defrosters. I see the other canister by the gas petal which seems to be operating. Where is the canister that would open and close vents? I have been chasing this sound coming from behind the dash for 6 months now with no luck. I’m aiming towards it being the canister that operates the doors.

Also I had a piece of plastic stuck in my blower motor I dropped it down to remove it and there is a hose leading do it that pumps out air, it wasn’t connected so I connected it the best I could kind of short the hose and I didn’t notice any difference. I’m at a loss with this noise!!! It’s some kind of vacuum leak

this is the old post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...hind-dash.html
I think that house you said wasn't connected, was the AC drain tube.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

As in the other thread you need to inspect the actuators. Some have springs in them and the vac must be strong enough to overcome the tension of it. If you drop the steering column on the seat loosen the two nuts at each side of the dash(lower) and take out all the screws by the windshield you should be able to move the dash to where you can get to the actuators. You can hang the passenger side by the grab bar then test each actuator.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
As in the other thread you need to inspect the actuators. Some have springs in them and the vac must be strong enough to overcome the tension of it. If you drop the steering column on the seat loosen the two nuts at each side of the dash(lower) and take out all the screws by the windshield you should be able to move the dash to where you can get to the actuators. You can hang the passenger side by the grab bar then test each actuator.
I did pull the dash down just like you said, when I was looking for the noise. There is nothing coming from the blower motor area that could of caused it, I rerouted all those vacuum lines and it isn’t coming from the fresh door actuator. There is about a 1/2 hose coming from the back of the blower motor that seems too short to go into where it needs to be, that hose also pumps out some air. If it’s vacuum I’m not sure I just noticed it this weekend and didn’t have time to mess around with it. I’m going to have to check that, also I’m going to pull the vacuum resoiver under the cowl completely off and check underneath that. I did a visual inspection on that without unbolting it and looking at the back