2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lower Ball Joints - Brand Name or Generic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Lower Ball Joints - Brand Name or Generic?

Hey Y'all, I'm just looking for opinions. Money's a bit tight at the moment, and I need to replace the wonderfully designed lower ball joints. I've been through this process a few times (owned 6 2nd gen ram's over the years), but here's my question. Since getting to them to grease them is just as much a PITA as replacing them, I just replace them about once a year or so (whenever they make enough noise). That said, do I spend $53.68ea @ Amazon for the Moog
Amazon Amazon
(what I usually do) or do I chance going cheaper at the risk I may end up doing this all over again sooner than I would like? Love to hear from someone who uses lower cost ball joints, I found some on eBay as low as $20 for the pair with a 1 year warranty,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Front-...BX3G7Q&vxp=mtr
but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to go that low. I really don't wanna be doing this again in 4-6 months.

As always, any input is appreciated!

Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

One word. Moog

Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Gotta agree with Mr. Keaton here. The cheap ones won't last long. Go for the moog, be done with it for a couple years.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 PM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moog quality ain't what it used to be, I got a year and a half out of my last set of Moogs, just replaced with million mile xrf's and while it's too soon to give a thorough review they did seem built sturdier

Old 07-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I put moogs on my 2500 when i got it about 60K it still has them at 199K. I think a lot of failures are because people forget to GREASE them periodically .

Old 07-15-2017, 02:44 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I like Spicer or XRF

Old 07-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
I put moogs on my 2500 when i got it about 60K it still has them at 199K. I think a lot of failures are because people forget to GREASE them periodically .
That's the issue though, with the bottom ones, how do you grease them without removing the axle shaft? 90* fittings maybe? I mean that's A LOT of work to grease a ball joint unless you know a trick I've missed. Everything else on that truck gets greased with every oil change. (including door hinges)

Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Thank you everyone for the input and advice. You're basically confirming what I was suspecting, but I guess I didn't want to admit to myself because of the money situation lol. However, Y'all are correct, that's how I was raised, do it right or don't do it at all, and don't buy junk! Just gets tempting sometimes when you get desperate to save money. On a positive note, found moog lowers even cheaper.....Summit Racing $51.97ea and free shipping on anything over $99.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

That's the issue though, with the bottom ones, how do you grease them without removing the axle shaft? 90* fittings maybe?
That's exactly how you do it. PITA no less. Check out the prices at rockauto, They beat everybody most of the time if it's not to much to ship. And you can use the discount code found here.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Thanks for confirming that 90* fitting suspicion. I'll try that, and i'll check rockauto. My problem with them is usually the shipping. I've ordered a lot from summit because I live so close to their Georgia warehouse that I always get my stuff next day or within 2 days via UPS ground. Plus I'm almost always ordering $100 or more. Cheaper stuff I usually find locally.