DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   2001 Dodge ram 1500 won't shift into over drive (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/405492-2001-dodge-ram-1500-wont-shift-into-over-drive.html)

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 07:35 AM

2001 Dodge ram 1500 won't shift into over drive

Hello I have a 2001 Dodge ram I'm currently having problems with my overdrive it does not engage unless I've driven it at least 20 miles or so once it engages it works fine as it should the overdrive button works as it should and then you stop shut the truck off turn it back on and then it's back to the same thing again I replaced both vehicle speed sensors and I cannot plug it in because I have no power to my oBd PLEASE HELP

2bit 07-19-2017 08:14 AM

I believe there are solenoids that need to be replaced. Do a search or look in the DIY section. I think they are installing GM solenoids that work better.

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reply which solenoids what I want to replace I just didn't think any of them were bad because of the problem being so consistent every single time between 16 and 20 miles overdrive kicks in every time once it engages for the first time it works great until the truck is shut off my number is 231-920-2041 I am very new to this and I don't know how to work this site if you could call or text me that would be wonderful I have spent countless hours on this truck and I am Loosing hope

HeyYou 07-19-2017 09:12 AM

Figure out why the OBD port isn't working, and fix it.

Scan for codes. Is the check engine lite on? Has the PCM been updated? or have an aftermarket tune installed?

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 09:20 AM

No there is no tuner installed and I do not think the computer has been updated I didn't think you had to do any of those things with an older Dodge I am new to the Dodge life so any new information is very helpful I did cycle the key three times and got a P0743 code Anna P1765 code but both of them I believe are just coming out because I have the manual torque converter lockup switch engaged with that switch I can get over drive to work when I want to only problem is they will not engage above 35 miles an hour it's really weird sorry if there's anything misspelled I'm using voice to text and it is retarded

HeyYou 07-19-2017 09:24 AM

P0743 Torque Conv Clutch Solenoid/Trans Relay Circs

P1765 Trans 12 Volt Supply Relay CTRL Circ

How is the switch wired? Is it in the power FEED side of the circuit? If so, that is your problem. The computer controls the ground side of the circuit...... and engages O/D and TCC by enabling those grounds. If there isn't power on the circuit, then grounding it will do nothing at all.....

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 09:26 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...6ffb789f19.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...513ad7579d.png

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 09:28 AM

I have a ground wire connected to the orange and black wire that goes into my computer and I grounded it on the wheel well top of it on the inside of the engine bay just temporarily with the self tapper and I scraped all the paint off to get good connection from there I ran wires inside the cab for a toggle switch I couldn't find any more videos on how to do it on my kind of truck all the videos were diesels and they just were very helpful I have had a lot of hours into this and I'm just trying to make do with the sources that I have this switch I hooked up in the beginning the first few drives worked great overdrive is there whenever I needed it and now it's only there at about 0 to 35 miles an hour and then after that I do not have overdrive or it seems that I have something going on because I do get a little lower RPM I'm running about 2600 at 70 miles an hour so that's a little bit lower than what it is when I do not have the switch on normally with the switch off I'm running about 3000 at that speed

HeyYou 07-19-2017 09:35 AM

That one locks the torque converter clutch, not Overdrive. TCC only drops RPM around 200 or so at 45 mph.

What was the purpose of installing the switch to begin with?

Dodge-guy0320 07-19-2017 09:37 AM

Since I was only getting overdrive after 16 to 20 miles of drive time when my work is only 10 miles away I was constantly driving it out of overdrive unless I had to make longer trips so I wanted to hook that up and see if it would work I was told if it didn't work then my overdrive still annoyed was bad I guess I'm just trying to tamper with it I have another transmission for the truck so if I blow this transmission it's not a huge issue I just need to get it figured out I am new to this I like to experiment I have a whole mess right now is there any chance I could get a phone call from somebody it's a lot easier to explain what I'm trying to say on the phone again my number is 231-920-2041 any additional information is greatly appreciated