2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission linkage loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM
FloydDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission linkage loose

My 1997 Ram 2500 4x4 shift linkage is loose and very sloppy. I have replace the bushing and everything else seems fine except where the linkage attaches to the transmission. I cant see very well but there appears to be a plate that attaches to a pin or a rod that goes into the top of the transmission that is very loose. this causes a problem with starting it in Park and I have to shift into Neutral to hit the starter safety switch. Also it prevents the truck from going all of the way into park and it tends to roll away as I get out. Can I fix this or does it need to go to a shop? I am not a tranny person

Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Is the slop on the outside? Or inside the trans? If you can actually see what the problem parts are, you likely could just order them, and replace them yourself. Really only need basic hand tools.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Transmission linkage loose