2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio issue - Poor reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio issue - Poor reception

Hello all, I've been messing with an issue with my radio and can't really find anything on here via the search that quite helps. I may have missed it, if so then please forgive me. When I first picked it up it had an aftermarket radio that worked well enough, but I would have rather had a nice factory unit. A friend of mine had a very nice stock CD / tape player combo from a early 2000's Chrysler van that he gave me. When it was in his van it worked perfectly. Here it is installed:

Name:  5EDC5F8C-8619-48F9-84D3-309B1F0B1246_zps6fnwakns.jpg
Views: 5687
Size:  210.5 KB

My issue is that when the truck is running, the FM radio reception is not very good. It's fuzzy and the stations do not come in clearly. When the truck is off and the key is turned just enough to power everything, the stations come in crisp and clear. I had a nice amplified aftermarket antenna that I had in my old 91 Corvette that I kept under the dash. I popped it in the truck and the sound was exactly the same. I ran a new ground and still no change. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Is it plugged into the factory harness?

I might be tempted to check the antenna ground, and make sure the connector is correct for the radio.... also, make sure it is clean.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe there was a reason it wasn't used any more???

Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 PM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it plugged into the factory harness?

I might be tempted to check the antenna ground, and make sure the connector is correct for the radio.... also, make sure it is clean.
It's all factory right now except for the antenna. I triple checked all the stuff with the factory antenna and the ground and it all looked good. Now it's hooked up to the aftermarket antenna and it's the same problem.

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Maybe there was a reason it wasn't used any more???
I went to the local pick and pull and snagged another one for $20, just to make sure of this exact thing. The other radio does the same thing, perfect reception when the key is in the on position and goes fuzzy when the truck is started.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Install a noise filter on the batt plus wire, maybe. Resistor plugs may help but I am not sure if our trucks like them.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TSU_Delta_Chi
perfect reception when the key is in the on position and goes fuzzy when the truck is started.
Originally Posted by dbbd1
Install a noise filter on the batt plus wire, maybe. Resistor plugs may help but I am not sure if our trucks like them.
Check your plug wires too. Cheap wires or a bad connection in them will cause interference.

Had an odd whine in mine (think high pitched kazoo) that varied with rpms. found 2 bad wires via late night light show under the hood. Changed wires and it went away.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

perfect reception when the key is in the on position and goes fuzzy when the truck is started.
Is it only when the radio is used or everything including the tape/cd player? Any way you can post a clip of the sound? Is it RFI or a humm/buzz from the alternator or something else?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
Is it only when the radio is used or everything including the tape/cd player? Any way you can post a clip of the sound? Is it RFI or a humm/buzz from the alternator or something else?
The noise is only there when the radio is used. When I use a CD or run my iPod off of a tape converter, the sound is normal. As for the sound, it's like the radio reception is being toggled. The stations just go in and out like someone is jiggling the **** on an old school type radio. You know how it was back then when you were trying to zero in on that radio station that barely came in with the dial? That's what it sounds like.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Another thing to check... Do you have a phone charger plugged in? Was driving today in a brand new Ford (work truck) and a co-worker plugged his apple charger in. The radio started acting up. Pulled his out and tried mine(droid) and it didn't do it. It acted like you're describing, like you were trying to fine tune a station on an old radio. Just a thought.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
G in Richmond, Ontario
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor radio reception

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
Another thing to check... Do you have a phone charger plugged in? Was driving today in a brand new Ford (work truck) and a co-worker plugged his apple charger in. The radio started acting up. Pulled his out and tried mine(droid) and it didn't do it. It acted like you're describing, like you were trying to fine tune a station on an old radio. Just a thought.
QUOT
frankie_b , you're a genius... FM radio all of a sudden started giving me all kinds of static and losing the "st" stereo reception. I though something was getting loose or rusting out. I looked at everything. I read your post and realized
​​​I had purchssed a cheap 12volt phone charger about the time the radio started going on the fritz. I took that charger out and the radio is once again crackle free. Thanks for your post.

The following users liked this post:
gmyhilo (03-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Radio issue - Poor reception