2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 5.9 4x4 with too many issues to count

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

PCM sends reference signal to the sensor. *should* be 5 volts. Or very close. See what the scanner thinks that voltage is...... although, if the PCM was actually SEEING a low voltage going TO the sensor, you would think it would whine about it.

Wonder if an intake gasket didn't slip on installation...... Might wanna check crank case for vacuum..... Disable PCV system, plug up the hoses, take off the oil cap, and let the engine idle. You *should* feel a slight breeze out the oil fill hole.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Alex Andrew Orndorff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
PCM sends reference signal to the sensor. *should* be 5 volts. Or very close. See what the scanner thinks that voltage is...... although, if the PCM was actually SEEING a low voltage going TO the sensor, you would think it would whine about it.

Wonder if an intake gasket didn't slip on installation...... Might wanna check crank case for vacuum..... Disable PCV system, plug up the hoses, take off the oil cap, and let the engine idle. You *should* feel a slight breeze out the oil fill hole.
If it was an intake gasket, I feel I should of had this problem a while ago right? I did that a year ago maybe. Just an update. I know the pcv valve is okay. Just checked. Can check the 02 sensor voltage with a meter at the moment. But I pulled the PCV valve and it smelled like fuel. There has to be fuel in my oil now. On start up this morning almost sounded like a backfire. Weird because the truck runs fine. And my ST fuel trim now this morning is showing -10. As it warmed up the ST moved back close to 0 and into lean numbers again and back into rich numbers. Not steady but I know ST isn’t always steady. LT is still showing lean with 24.8 now. 02 was switching nicely on first start up with rich and lean. Coolant sensor reads okay on the scanner. Spark advance at idle is about 20 degrees. The LT is no longer at 32. Which is nice. But still. 21-24 for LT is still a bit excessive in my opinion.IAT is also doing its job. Just not sure what I’m missing.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Alex Andrew Orndorff
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou

02 sensor has a good 5 volt refrence

Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What's you oil smell like? Probably a fair bit of gas in there too......

Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Alex Andrew Orndorff
Rookie

Yeah I posted above this post with more details. Oil does smell like fuel.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmmmm...... Change the oil, and leave the battery disconnected while you do it. (resets the PCM) Might want to consider a leakdown test as well..... See what it looks like.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Alex Andrew Orndorff
Rookie

****UPDATE****

My headers were the issues. Had a lot of cracks and etc. couldn’t hear an exhaust leak but hey that was the issue with my fuel trim. LT went from 30 to 8 after replacement with stock manifolds. 8 is a bit higher than normal sure but not worried right now. It should still let the catalyst monitor complete so I can pass emissions!