2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recharged my AC, need some confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 AM
RAS_Krav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recharged my AC, need some confirmation

Hi!

Today I recharged my a-c and with "Nevada" R134a.
It was the first time for me to do such a thing, so i need some confirmation of you :-)
The first thing was that the compressor wouldn't kick in, so my theory was a safety switch, because of the low level refrigerant.
So, I started the RAM and drove a bit to get it on temperature.
I set the a-c to maximum level and left the door open.
Then I refilled the system very, very slowly. I was cautious, I read a lot of stories ;-)
After a while the compressor kicked in, nice! So I gave it a bit more R134, just "shot by shot" and after a view minutes the compressor stayed continu. The pressure on the gauge in the blue sector. It's getting cold inside again!!! Happy!!!
After I shut down the engine a light "ssshhhh" sounds at the front of the truck. I think the condenser. Could this be a "blow off" valve. Or is this a small leak? Because there's no cycle then, pressure builds? Just a thought.

I posted two video on YouTube. Hope I did it okay...

Compressor kicks in, first time in 2 years :-) :

https://youtu.be/t07gDlKoHLs

Compressor stays continue and now I got cold air inside:

https://youtu.be/cfWNp-qVkaQ

Thanks in advance and greeting from Holland!

Last edited by RAS_Krav; 08-27-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

This sound you are hearing is (most likely if you don't have a leak) the refrigerant, It goes from a liquid to a gas and back again. When you shut it off it still does this for a bit so it's normal.

Just a FYI, your pic shows a second gen. You are in the first gen section.
1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams:

Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM
RAS_Krav

Originally Posted by Moparite
This sound you are hearing is (most likely if you don't have a leak) the refrigerant, It goes from a liquid to a gas and back again. When you shut it off it still does this for a bit so it's normal.

Just a FYI, your pic shows a second gen. You are in the first gen section.
1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams:
Ah, I'm sorry, wrong section indeed! I really thought that I was putting this in the 2nd Gen-section
But I'm typing on my phone, maybe fat fingers :-P
Maybe the moderator will move this thread.

Thanks for your answer! It could/should be indeed.
I know the system has been recharged 2 years ago. So there has to be small leak too somewhere. Could be "O" rings I think. But this sound doesn't concern me then :-)

Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the system meters refrigerant through either a fixed orfice or thermal expansion valve...the sound you hear when the system is shut off: is the high side pressure equalizing past the metering device to the low side pressure...its normal.

if you had a leak you could hear...the sysem would be empty so fast the low side pressure switch would shut off the compressor.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 AM
RAS_Krav

Originally Posted by primem
the system meters refrigerant through either a fixed orfice or thermal expansion valve...the sound you hear when the system is shut off: is the high side pressure equalizing past the metering device to the low side pressure...its normal.

if you had a leak you could hear...the sysem would be empty so fast the low side pressure switch would shut off the compressor.
I think you're right too. Just drove a while, frozen feed :-) If this was a leak then the system was already empty and saw probably some "green-ish" stuff blew out.

Next step is fixing cruise control and back-up light switch.

Thanks guys for all help :-)

Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 PM
sarmikgar
Professional

Originally Posted by RAS_Krav
I think you're right too. Just drove a while, frozen feed :-) If this was a leak then the system was already empty and saw probably some "green-ish" stuff blew out.

Next step is fixing cruise control and back-up light switch.

Thanks guys for all help :-)
My 96 with original a/c makes the "ssshhhh" sound and has blown cold for years, I've had people ask "Is you truck leaking something?" lol.

Your cruise problem is most likely a vacuum leak, usually found under the battery tray, but not always.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 AM
RAS_Krav

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Your cruise problem is most likely a vacuum leak, usually found under the battery tray, but not always.
Thanks!!

Checked the hose already and seems to be alright. I can't really remove the battery tray, but for what I saw...
Yesterday I cleaned the brake switch...so today a test drive.
I've I get stuck with the "investigation " I'll open a new topic again