2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck dies on me while driving will not fire back up

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 PM
NickGore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies on me while driving will not fire back up

Got a 97 1500 5.2 v8 and today while driving it died on me and would turn over but would not fire back up, changed the distributor cap and rotor about a month ago because I kept having the same problem and it seemed to solve it until today, before when truck would die I would let it sit a couple hours or day or two and she'd fire back up was thinking it was cap getting moisture and that replacing it would solve the problem but that doesn't seem to be the problem after all. after it died battery level dropped down to around 8 but all lights were working in the truck, tried tightening cables to see if it was just loose wires to no avail, fuel pump kicks on soon as the key is turned, she cranks like she wants to start up but doesn't fire up only cranks, somebody told me that it could be bad ignition coil or the pickup in the distributor was looking to get some help on where I should start or a solution to the problem

Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my camshaft position sensor (pickup coil at the parts store) went out I didn't get a CEL.
When it was on its way out I would have a random erratic idle and after shutting it down I would have to wait for the engine to cool off before it would start again.
If I remember right it did stall a time or two also.
When you put one of those in the distributor (or any time you take the distributor cap off) you need to make sure that the wire isn't pinched.
I believe the parts stores have a tester for the camshaft position sensor, ask one of them if they do.

These trucks don't like a weak battery and don't like to start with one hooked up.
The volt meter on the dash lies, pull the battery and have a parts store load test it for you.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM
NickGore

Yup went to napa today and got new pickup, installed and she fired back up no problem, put plugs back on in wrong firing order at first and took me about 2 or 3 turns of the key before I realized I went counter clockwise instead of clockwise on firing order lmao thanks for the help

Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by NickGore
Yup went to napa today and got new pickup, installed and she fired back up no problem, put plugs back on in wrong firing order at first and took me about 2 or 3 turns of the key before I realized I went counter clockwise instead of clockwise on firing order lmao thanks for the help
I've never done that.......

Drive it for a few days, let us know if the problem is gone.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 PM
NickGore

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I've never done that.......

Drive it for a few days, let us know if the problem is gone.
Alright so I changed the pickup coil and she fired up no problem and has been running solid for 2 weeks with no problems starting and no stalling and then today truck did the same thing again to me stalled out while driving and will crank but will not fire back up, pulled distributor cap to make sure pickup wire wasn't pinched and it wasn't put it back on and she still
will not fire back up again, any other ideas on what it could be? Bad plugs? Somebody said it might be the actual distributor needs to be replaced as well

Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Are you getting spark?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 AM
NickGore

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you getting spark?
Didn't check spark in it yet will check tomorrow and let you know if she has any kind of spark, somebody said it could be bad plugs or something fuel filter or pump related maybe even too much pressure building up in fuel rail as well

Old 11-02-2017, 08:30 PM
cowboy46
Angry truck dies after few seconds of starting

I have a 01 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a V10 and when i start it, it will only run for a few seconds before it shuts off. I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, and the truck still has the same issue and will not give me any codes the check engine light does not come on with this problem. Sometimes when it dies it will not start back up for awhile, it will crank over but will not start. I need help guys i am getting frustrated

Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the security lite in the dash on? Blinking?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 PM
NickGore

Quick update finally got the truck running again this weekend had some time to mess around with it, put a new ignition coil on, new plugs and wires and she's been running solid so far so hopefully that was the problem all along