2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is a tuner safe for a high milage 5.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

PCV valve is just regular maintenance. I've had mechanics say when they don't "rattle" then replace them, but I've never had one stuck. They just wear out. Look up a youtube on them you'll see it's actually a complicated little bugger! Get the genuine Mopar if you get one.

Plugs - go copper Champion RC12YC (stock is RC12LC4) since they are stock heat but shorter like the earlier 2nd gens (I've not had luck with Autolites) http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/spark_p...park_plugs.htm

Wires - get at least 7mm. Check out the re-wiring diagram TSB at dodgeram.org http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98.htm

Cap and Rotor - brass ONLY!

IAC - leave it but clean it using my DIY in that section "clean your throttle body!" There's no reason to replace it

Again, you're getting 14mpg! That's great! So don't get too crazy here and start causing issues inadvertently

Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximillio
What should I look for for a bad PCV Valve? I've got a relatively low mileage tuned 5.9, and have never gotten anything above 13.8 with combined hw/city, and that was MOSTLY highway and a pretty fresh/clean engine refurbish. I have definitely noted MPG has dropped way off for me, and power isnt what it was when it was fresher. I'm sure some of my fuel gets sucked because I've got a really messed up hood and no grille, so tons of air to fight through going up under it.
Yank it off and shake it, if it rattles when you shake it then that's a good sign. While it's off, clean it (wipe it off, oil doesn't taste good) and blow in both ends, it should flow freely from one end and plug from the other, sludge and varnish can make it not seal all the way and rob your power and mileage because of a massive vacuum leak that it causes.

Things that affect mileage and power:
Gear ratio in the axles
4x2 vs 4x4
Ignition system condition
Vacuum leaks
Upstream o2 sensor condition
Enthusiasm with the go pedal
Tire size
Tire size that's told to the tuner
Toting unnecessary weight like a toolbox full of junk
A dinged up hood and no grille acting like a sail

I used to get "13.5 - 14" mpg until I plugged in the tuner. There is an option for tire size in the tuner and from the factory (in the PCM) it was set for 29" tires, I changed it to 32.5" tires and my mileage dropped to 11.5mpg. If I switch it back to 29" tires in the tuner then I'll get the 14mpg lie from the odometer again.
The way I understand it (and I may be wrong) is the odometer gets a reading from the speed sensor on the rear differential and uses the revolutions of the ring gear along with how tall the PCM is told the tires are to calculate miles driven.
Smaller tires have more revolutions per mile rolled so your mileage will show higher than actual if the computer thinks that the ring gear is turning shorter tires than it is.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 09-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.