2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Some Help.. Idling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
mnamie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help.. Idling Issue

Looking for any guidance or advice here..
Specs:

1997, Dodge Ram 1500, 360cu/5.9L
-New battery
-New Starter
-New alternator
-New cables to all of the listed above components

Symptoms / Important Notes:

-Truck has low idle in park (less than 300 RPMs)
-It runs fine when I'm driving around or foot on the gas
-When i come to a stop my dashboard battery gauge drops, and my RPMs come to almost a stall
-Occasionally coming to a stop will cause the trucks battery gauge to drop out, and stall
-Applying the gas makes the battery gauge to go up, as well as the rpms (obviously)

My questions:
-What could be causing this stall? All my connections to and from the battery are either new, clean, or tight
-Could it be something else?

Any ideas would be helpful...
Gonna go check on a sensor.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check engine lite on? Any codes?

I think the first thing I would do is, go to the parts store, get a throttle body gasket, (about 3 bucks) then pull the throttle body, and THOROUGHLY clean it. Take the IAC out of the back, and clean that bore so it's spotless. Just wipe off the end of the pintle with a clean rag..... Don't wanna get real serious on that. (unless its really cruddy..... but, be careful.) Leave the battery disconnected while you do your thing.

Once it's all back together, turn the ignition "On" (not start), and count to ten. THEN start the engine. It may take the PCM a few minutes to relearn how to idle the motor......

If you don't see RPM flare when the engine starts, and then slowly come back down, you are going to need to dig deeper into it. One step at a time though. Clean the TB first.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 AM
mnamie
Amateur

No, only code is for the evap emissions which I removed a year ago- I live in Montana and it was giving me problems.

UPDATE: The "Gen" light came on when I was driving the truck- is it possible I just put in a bad alternator and its shot? Alternators less than 2 months old..

Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Alternator, or voltage regulator.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If the alternator's bad, the battery would discharge. The engine would also be more difficult to start as the battery drained. Check the battery voltage whilst running the engine at about 12-15 hundred RPM. It should be round 13-14 volts if your alternator is good and depending on health/charge of the battery. Heyyou's got your number here.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:46 PM
mnamie
Amateur

Yeah I was afraid it might be the voltage regulator [PCM] $$. I'm going to go run another round of voltage tests... I guess I just assumed that if the voltage regulator [PCM] wasn't working that the truck wouldn't run or start at all?
But since that's just a small component within the PCM maybe the symptoms are just irregular charge from the volt reg. If it is the voltage regulator, I would need to replace the entire PCM, correct? Thanks

Old 04-20-2018, 03:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are how-tos on how to install an external regulator as well. Definitely less expensive, some folks have made it work...... No personal experience though.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:04 PM
mnamie
Amateur

Okay, here are the results from my last multimeter test:

Truck turned off, battery reads: 12.54 volts... Not bad, a little low for a newer battery one would think.
Truck turned on, accessories off, battery reads: 12.18 Volts... Okay, yeah that's definitely low
Truck turned on, accessories on full blast, battery reads: 11.92 volts.... Now I'm really thinking its the alternator that's a dud...

Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM
mnamie
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are how-tos on how to install an external regulator as well. Definitely less expensive, some folks have made it work...... No personal experience though.
Yeah I recall hearing something about this on an unrelated post here, could be worth looking into if this Bosch alternator I ordered doesn't fix my issue. This is what I get for buying the cheapest alternator I could find.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is that engine running? If so, your alternator is not charging. Oh gee, thank you very much captain obvious......

Now, the question becomes, WHY isn't it charging....... is the alternator bad? Or is the regulator bad..... Think I would pull the alternator, and have it tested, if it tests good, regulator is bad....

Quick Reply: Need Some Help.. Idling Issue