2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dana 60 swap?? upgrade steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM
viking23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 60 swap?? upgrade steering

hey everyone! so im wanting to do a D60 swap on my 98 RAM 1500 quad cab (chrysler 9.25 LSD in the rear/44 in the front) 46RE trans. came into some issues with the yokes not matching up from drive shaft to the rear pinion yoke? is there a go around (offset ujoint from spicer?) or what size drive shaft do i have to get? i also want to do away with the linkage steering and put a rack and pinion in it. any recommendations? having the axles sent out to get new bearings and seals so i have time to get things set up. havent gotten around to counting the splines on it though, sorry, ill update this once i do. the gearing i know is 4.10. also i have a 7 inch suspension lift with a 3 inch body sitting on 35's. so if yall have any advice, id surely appreciate it!!!

also side question, having problems with the tranny overheating even after a COMPLETE flush and second cooler installed. its only when in OD like on the highway for 2 hrs. i can spend hrs in the trails without any problems. OBDII scanner said it was P0740.

Last edited by viking23; 10-21-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Updating info
Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by viking23
hey everyone! so im wanting to do a D60 swap on my 98 RAM 1500 quad cab (chrysler 9.25 LSD in the rear/44 in the front) 46RE trans. came into some issues with the yokes not matching up from drive shaft to the rear pinion yoke? is there a go around (offset ujoint from spicer?) or what size drive shaft do i have to get? i also want to do away with the linkage steering and put a rack and pinion in it. any recommendations? having the axles sent out to get new bearings and seals so i have time to get things set up. havent gotten around to counting the splines on it though, sorry, ill update this once i do. the gearing i know is 4.10. also i have a 7 inch suspension lift with a 3 inch body sitting on 35's. so if yall have any advice, id surely appreciate it!!!

also side question, having problems with the tranny overheating even after a COMPLETE flush and second cooler installed. its only when in OD. i can spend hrs in the trails without any problems. OBDII scanner said it was the torque converter not unlocking or slipping. i have to find the print out of it and ill edit this.
Can't put a rack and pinion in these trucks. Now you will have to have 2 different set of rims. One for a 8 bolt axle and one for a 5 bolt axle. You need a 2500 driveshaft from a gasser 2500.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Can't put a rack and pinion in these trucks. Now you will have to have 2 different set of rims. One for a 8 bolt axle and one for a 5 bolt axle. You need a 2500 driveshaft from a gasser 2500.
While the 2nd gen trucks didn't come from the factory with rack and pinion steering, I suspect that someone will produce a kit to convert to it, if it hasn't been done already. Here is one custom kit that's been done:
Facebook Post

Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
While the 2nd gen trucks didn't come from the factory with rack and pinion steering, I suspect that someone will produce a kit to convert to it, if it hasn't been done already. Here is one custom kit that's been done:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6954537&type=3
Well I'll be an sob it can be done.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I wouldn't trust it, The shafts are a lot smaller then the stock steering components it replaced. Take it wheeling and they will get bent real fast. Take the yoke and drive shaft to someone who makes them, They will cut off the yoke on the drive shaft and weld on one that will be compatible with u joint on the rear. You could get a drive shaft from a 2500 but make sure it's the correct length. You need to have the same ratio gear in both axles if you want to use the 4WD.

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch, No RPM Drop @ Lockup