DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   98 Trans issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/410468-98-trans-issue.html)

RamBam59 01-09-2018 06:12 PM

98 Trans issue

whatsup everyone? have a trans issue im hoping i can get some help with. This morning on my way to work while i was on the highway going about 65 MPH my truck revved up very high, knew the trans was acting up. i immediatly pulled over and than realized i had absolutely nothing, no reverse, no drive, no 1 and no 2. i had a buddy pull me off the highway and checked my trans fluid and the dipstick showed nothing. first thing i did was go and pick up a bunch of trans fluid, i put 1 quart in and started her up, put her in gear and she went in gear no problem, but than right away i saw trans fluid pouring out the front of the truck. got under there and saw a hose clamp had snapped causing one of the lines to seperate, i got it put all back together and started putting fluid in , it took about 5 quarts to get the fluid level just right. now the truck is up and running again but it does seem to have developed a little skip/hesitation when shifting 2-3, sometimes it does it, sometimes its nice and smooth. trans fluid does not smell burnt at the moment, but i also have a fresh 5 quarts in there dont know if that would mask the smell for a bit. what are the odds i did some real damage to my tranny? yesterday i literally rebuilt the entire front end of this truck - both front u joints, both wheel bearing hubs, all tie rods/ends, trac bar, steering dampener, new calipers. really hoping im not looking at rebuilding a tranny now as well..ughh

​​​​​​​98 5.9 auto trans

HeyYou 01-09-2018 06:14 PM

Recheck fluid level, have to check in park. Checking in neutral will give an artificially high reading.

2bit 01-10-2018 03:38 PM

Have to check in neutral, park gives false high reading. Hey You had the right thought, LOL,

HeyYou 01-10-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3373992)
Recheck fluid level, have to check in park. Checking in neutral will give an artificially high reading.

Originally Posted by 2bit (Post 3374143)
Have to check in neutral, park gives false high reading. Hey You had the right thought, LOL,

Thanks for straightening that one out 2bit...... Can't believe I spaced that one out. :D

MoparFanatic21 01-11-2018 03:28 AM

Kind of had nothing to do with the thread but....If you overhead your tranny even for a few minutes it's life expectancy is cut in half. My truck sometimes won't shift into third unless you take your for completely off the gas and give it a second. It's sort of like driving a standard lol you get used to it

MoparFanatic21 01-11-2018 03:36 AM

Kind of had nothing to do with the thread but....If you overhead your tranny even for a few minutes it's life expectancy is cut in half. My truck sometimes won't shift into third unless you take your for completely off the gas and give it a second. It's sort of like driving a standard lol you get used to it

RamBam59 01-11-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3373992)

rechecked today while in neutral and im right on the MIN line, will add a tad to get me perfect in between min/max tonight. also i realized i mis spoke in my original post. the problem is a 1-2 shift NOT 2-3..its odd, only happens sometimes, depending on how im working the gas pedal, but sometimes when it shifts into 2nd and i give it some gas, it judders back to 1st and than back in to 2 again and than takes off. could this possibly be a linkage adjustment problem or something? makes me think i got something going on in the tranny itself since i never had this problem before my trans line blew on the highway.

HeyYou 01-11-2018 06:13 PM

Mine does that too...... I have no idea why.

RamBam59 01-11-2018 07:02 PM

just got back from a drive to the parts store for some more atf4. got the level perfect. ****ing trans is giving me issues tho, seems to be getting worse, shifting late into 2nd if im really easy on it, than as it goes into second and you are gassing too much it bounces back 1-2 once or twice and than is fine. odd part is that if me blowing my trans line on the highway in high gear, you think high gear would be affected and not my 1-2 shift. was really hoping i wouldnt be looking at a rebuild soonish, but it seems that way. have a buddy in the shop who is gonna take a look on tuesday, hopefully its not that time yet.

HeyYou 01-11-2018 07:10 PM

It *might* just be an electronics issue...... Might try unplugging the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans. ('bout halfway back, plugs straight down into trans. Can be fun to get to if you have a 4x4.....) With that unplugged, the trans will not have ANY automatic function. You will have to shift manually, and put it in the gear you want it in. You won't have O/D, or TCC either..... if it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, its an electronic problem. If it still exhibits undesirable behavior....... rebuild time.