2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Jlynton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question

Hey all, got a question that I can’t seem to find on the previous threads. I’ll ask you to bear with me when explaining this. I’ve been out of the do it yourself/modding game for about 13 yrs now, but here it goes:
I bout an 01 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.9 about five yrs ago now. Last summer I let someone borrow my truck and both leaf springs managed to separate at the rear eyelet and punch through the bed. So after a trip to the junk yard, I got them fixed up proper. I’ve been doing parts replacement for the suspension but had to stop bc of Winter, moving, blah, blah, blah. I wasn’t able to get to the tie rod and associated stuff with it yet due to the tranny grenading on itself when I was driving home one day and dropping $3k to rebuild it. The truck had a lift on it when I bought it, but it doesn’t have any “off road” badging or anything. I also decoded the VIN and it doesn’t mention having the off road package but a “heavy duty service package.” So the lift could’ve been put on by a previous owner. Before I start dropping the dime to get all the tie rods, and so on, I was wondering what’s a good brand to go with? I’ve been hearing Moog doesn’t last about a year and I’ve never heard of the other companies. I’m unsure of the current lift, but I’m planning on doing a 4” lift as early as this summer so I’m all for spending a little extra to get aftermarket instead of OEM. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jlynton; 01-18-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Forgot drive and engine
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlynton
Hey all, got a question that I can’t seem to find on the previous threads. I’ll ask you to bear with me when explaining this. I’ve been out of the do it yourself/modding game for about 13 yrs now, but here it goes:
I bout an 01 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.9 about five yrs ago now. Last summer I let someone borrow my truck and both leaf springs managed to separate at the rear eyelet and punch through the bed. So after a trip to the junk yard, I got them fixed up proper. I’ve been doing parts replacement for the suspension but had to stop bc of Winter, moving, blah, blah, blah. I wasn’t able to get to the tie rod and associated stuff with it yet due to the tranny grenading on itself when I was driving home one day and dropping $3k to rebuild it. The truck had a lift on it when I bought it, but it doesn’t have any “off road” badging or anything. I also decoded the VIN and it doesn’t mention having the off road package but a “heavy duty service package.” So the lift could’ve been put on by a previous owner. Before I start dropping the dime to get all the tie rods, and so on, I was wondering what’s a good brand to go with? I’ve been hearing Moog doesn’t last about a year and I’ve never heard of the other companies. I’m unsure of the current lift, but I’m planning on doing a 4” lift as early as this summer so I’m all for spending a little extra to get aftermarket instead of OEM. Thanks in advance!
WHAT?!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD.....!??!?!

I hope you have learned to never loan your truck out!

Not really following your questions but if you're looking for new front TREs, Moog is fine, as is AC DELCO, but Spicer is OEM. Even though they aren't perfect, I do recommend the T steering mod (you can search and read for weeks) but only get ACDelco for that. I also suggest some pics of your lift so we can help determine what lift you want and or need. Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Jlynton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
WHAT?!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD.....!??!?!

I hope you have learned to never loan your truck out!

Not really following your questions but if you're looking for new front TREs, Moog is fine, as is AC DELCO, but Spicer is OEM. Even though they aren't perfect, I do recommend the T steering mod (you can search and read for weeks) but only get ACDelco for that. I also suggest some pics of your lift so we can help determine what lift you want and or need. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for the confusion in my post. Been a long day and I guess I shouldn’t be multi-tasking. Just glad I didn’t type what I was yelling when I was getting my kids in bed while typing. To clarify, I’mWaging to replace the tie rods, sleeves, sway bar links, etc bc I’m pretty sure those parts on my truck currently are original to the truck. I don’t want to buy OEM replacement parts, then do a slightly higher lift and have to replace the parts I just replaced due to the ride height being different. Plus I’m getting some tire rub with turning toward the max of the whee travel. Again, sorry for the confusing post. Put too much info in thinking it was pertinent. I’ll get pictures of the lift on here soon. Due to stupid winter, it’s dark when I go to work and when I get off.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Lifting a truck has no bearing on the tie rods. It will however affect the track bar and control arms which in turn will make the front axle move rearward and off center. This all depends upon how high you go. Stock trucks can get away with about 2" before needing longer parts. Again, TREs are universal. Just get new ones and align it then start lift shopping.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Lifting a truck has no bearing on the tie rods. It will however affect the track bar and control arms which in turn will make the front axle move rearward and off center. This all depends upon how high you go. Stock trucks can get away with about 2" before needing longer parts. Again, TREs are universal. Just get new ones and align it then start lift shopping.
I will agree here. I bought TRE from rockauto all of them for like $30. They lasted about 2 years. I believe they didn't last longer because no zerk fitting

Quick Reply: 01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question