2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS help

Hey guys. So I've had this truck since 2004 and have just lived with not having ABS (really not that big of deal). I was in the fuse box the other day and noticed it had the slots for the relays or fuses for the ABS, but nothing was there. I don't know if the previous owner took all that out to disable it or if it just didn't come with it new. Can I simply put in the relays/fuses and it would start working? I've read that it might only be rear wheel ABS, not four wheel ABS. Regardless, it sounds like the ABS on these trucks were kind of a joke back in the day. Maybe that's why the previous owner may have disabled it? I kind of want to try to make it work. What else is required to make it work?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You would also likely need the motor/controller, the front sensors, and harness, and programming in the PCM.

Adding ABS is not trivial task.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:30 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Our 95 is 2 wheel ABS. Figure that out first. The empty spots might be for 4 wheel ABS.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You would also likely need the motor/controller, the front sensors, and harness, and programming in the PCM.

Adding ABS is not trivial task.
Well I know I do not have any sensors on the front wheels. Not sure how the rears would get ABS. If the PCM has to be programmed, then I likely won't worry about it at all.

Originally Posted by 2bit
Our 95 is 2 wheel ABS. Figure that out first. The empty spots might be for 4 wheel ABS.
I was kind of thinking it had 2 wheel ABS. But honestly I don't think that is even working. I can lock up the rear wheels easily in the snow. And the front wheels can lock up too.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a tone ring on the ring gear in the rear axle. The sensor is on top of the housing I think. In the DIY section there is a link to download factory service manuals.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it is not worth fixing especially at this point even if everything is in place. the stock RWAL was junk when new and i doubt it has gotten any better since. i had to disconnect mine on my 93 a few years ago when it started really acting up. in the entire time i have had my 93 i only felt the RWAL kick in once and it was on very slippery road. i have never felt it when locking up the tires on a wet road. at least without the abs the way a vehicle reacts is more predictable.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
it is not worth fixing especially at this point even if everything is in place. the stock RWAL was junk when new and i doubt it has gotten any better since. i had to disconnect mine on my 93 a few years ago when it started really acting up. in the entire time i have had my 93 i only felt the RWAL kick in once and it was on very slippery road. i have never felt it when locking up the tires on a wet road. at least without the abs the way a vehicle reacts is more predictable.
This. I don't think wolfie is all that crazy.

The RWAL on these trucks is pretty much worthless, and Wolfies point about the brakes being more predictable WITHOUT it, is quite valid.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:10 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This. I don't think wolfie is all that crazy.

The RWAL on these trucks is pretty much worthless, and Wolfies point about the brakes being more predictable WITHOUT it, is quite valid.
The reason why I keep fixing mine is a really stupid reason. The brake light. Sometimes I use the E-Brake and if someone has to move my truck and the light doesn't come on (right now ABS and brake light are on, was going to pull bulbs) they may not notice it and try to take off. Especially since a valet here in Cali was burning my 35s up on the street and he didn't think I saw it

Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if your truck is i believe 97 or older you can just unplug the abs module which is usually behind the glove box and it will shut of the brake and abs light.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if your truck is i believe 97 or older you can just unplug the abs module which is usually behind the glove box and it will shut of the brake and abs light.
Sadly 01 and it's actually to the passenger side of the knee bolster tucked up in there

Quick Reply: ABS help