DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Weird Steering Gear Box Problem (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/410815-weird-steering-gear-box-problem.html)

JWat 01-20-2018 06:33 PM

Weird Steering Gear Box Problem

Ok so I have an issue here that is a weird one. 99 v10 2500 4x4 just crossed 100k miles. Purchased this truck back in July. When I got it the seals on the steering gear box were gone so I replaced the box and pitman arm. When the new gear box when in the drag link didn't line up with the pitman arm with the steering wheel strait (should have known something was up then). I turned the wheel and put it all together. Now comes the part where I adjusted the drag link to straiten the steering wheel. The wheel needed to go the right so I drew in the drag link. Now here is the actual problem. I tightened the drag link as far as it would go and the wheel is still not strait. I am completely out of adjustment room now and can not figure out why. The truck turns evenly both ways (counted the steering wheel turns) so I know that gear box is set to center. Nothing is bent so that cant be it either. The only thing I can think of is maybe I got a gear box that was assembled on at 4:30 Friday afternoon by the new guy?!?! Either way I would love it someone can help me shed some light on the problem. :icon_steer:

AtomicDog 01-20-2018 08:33 PM

As I recall, the pitman arm has 4 different positions that it can be installed onto the steering gear box. Sounds like you need to remove the pitman arm. twist it a bit and install it in a more suitable position.

Ramman18 01-20-2018 09:52 PM

Shouldn't have to adjust the tie rods when installing. The gear can twist to match the tie rod.
-jack up truck with wheels straight
-strap down the steering wheel so it won't move.
-install new gear
-attach tie rod by moving the pitman arm to allow tie rod to drop in (should only need mm for this)

If it was so far off the tie rod did not reach the pitman arm the issue is either in the box or the arm. What I did was leave the pitman attached to the tie rod and let it drop right where it was. Then Rand R the box. Then I lifted the arm and tie rod to match the box shaft. It lined right up. Of course, I've done 2 Redheads and they do a good (correct) job of rebuilding boxes.

AtomicDog 01-21-2018 12:09 AM

When I replaced my gearbox with a Borgeson, I had to adjust it a bit, as the Borgeson housing is physically larger than the stock unit and moves the pinion shaft about 1/4" out further from the frame rail that the box bolts to than the stock unit does.

JWat 01-21-2018 11:54 AM

After having several mechanics look at it and getting no answer, I finally found the problem. I tracked down a buddy of mine who deals in low riders and knows suspensions front to back. I didn’t realize that the previous owner put a leveling kit on which caused the drag link to be to long. So I will be pulling the drag link and cutting about a half inch off each end which will give me plenty of adjustment room. Once that problem is fixed it’s on to the trac bar then off to get an alignment.

AtomicDog 01-21-2018 12:20 PM

On to the track bar? What's up with that?

JWat 01-22-2018 08:28 AM

It’s got to be replaced before I do the alignment.